Add new field to continuous form (2 Viewers)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 22:11
Hi all,
I am creating a small DB to keep track of my carb intake as I have been diagnosed as Type 2 Diabetic.

I created a continuous form to use as a subform.
I then added a Fibre field to the table and added the control for it to the form, but it sticks out a mile as being different. I ahve tried to go through the properties for Sugar and make Fibre the same, but it still sticks out. :(

Is there an easy way to make it the same before I recreate the form with the wizard again?

TIA

1683974117366.png

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Managed to do it by dragging onto existing controls. :(

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Alternative is to copy/paste an existing control, rename and change controlsource

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
As a partial explanation - that's because it has a layout applied to the controls.
It's actually a good way to initially create continuous forms as it keeps the headers and controls aligned and evenly spaced.

You can remove it after you have finished adding and removing elements.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:11
I don't use layouts because I don't like the extra space they consume.

Here's an app I use. I started building it years ago. It doesn't have much on diabetes but it's a foundation. You can use it for the whole family. Don't forget to set the default for the path so the exports won't fail.

Attachments

• DiabetesReadingTracker_NoData_20230513.zip
    317.1 KB · Views: 49

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time

Here's an app I use. I started building it years ago. It doesn't have much on diabetes but it's a foundation. You can use it for the whole family. Don't forget to set the default for the path so the exports won't fail.
Thank you Pat.
However the DB is too recent a version for me to open.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Do you need it to be an .mdb or just an earlier version of .accdb? I try to not use new features unless they are critical. I'll try to make it for you later today. I'm about to start a bridge game and then I'm going to lunch at a tea house with my daughter and granddaughters:)

I just tried a save as .mdb and got an error so I have to figure out what the problem is.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 14:11
FWIW: Here's a screen shot of part of one form I use.
1684072717557.png

I see red far more than I would like most days.

I don't bother tracking fiber (fibre). The keys for me are carbs and total calories. As long as the ratio between proteins and carbohydrates stays positive (along the dimensions I consider important), I maintain a decent balance.

Also, the BE for this app is in SQL Azure so I can also link to it from a PowerApps application in order to be able to record meals in restaurants and other away from home locations.

The hardest part has been getting accurate nutrition information. Some chain restaurants post it on menus or on their web sites. Most local places don't. It's often a "best guess", unfortunately.

Along those same lines, I recently added a web api to this app to retrieve published nutrition info from the UPC on packaging. Packaged foods here in the US (and I assume other countries) are required to carry that information. The web api retrieves it instantly from the website that publishes it. I signed up for a free account that limits the number of calls to it you can make.

It would be cool to have a UPC for a lot of other products, but this is pretty cool. Of course, the UPC is almost always on the package along with the Nutrition label anyway, but well, it's pretty cool.

1684073594878.png

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Do you need it to be an .mdb or just an earlier version of .accdb? I try to not use new features unless they are critical. I'll try to make it for you later today. I'm about to start a bridge game and then I'm going to lunch at a tea house with my daughter and granddaughters:)

I just tried a save as .mdb and got an error so I have to figure out what the problem is.
2007 accdb would be fine. Thank you pat, no rush, as I more than happy to develop my little db as I decide I need new features. It also keeps my brain active. :)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
FWIW: Here's a screen shot of part of one form I use.
View attachment 107967

I see red far more than I would like most days.

I don't bother tracking fiber (fibre). The keys for me are carbs and total calories. As long as the ratio between proteins and carbohydrates stays positive (along the dimensions I consider important), I maintain a decent balance.

Also, the BE for this app is in SQL Azure so I can also link to it from a PowerApps application in order to be able to record meals in restaurants and other away from home locations.

The hardest part has been getting accurate nutrition information. Some chain restaurants post it on menus or on their web sites. Most local places don't. It's often a "best guess", unfortunately.

Along those same lines, I recently added a web api to this app to retrieve published nutrition info from the UPC on packaging. Packaged foods here in the US (and I assume other countries) are required to carry that information. The web api retrieves it instantly from the website that publishes it. I signed up for a free account that limits the number of calls to it you can make.

It would be cool to have a UPC for a lot of other products, but this is pretty cool. Of course, the UPC is almost always on the package along with the Nutrition label anyway, but well, it's pretty cool.

View attachment 107968
Hi George,
I know what you mean about information. I am getting conflicting information on several products.
Then I just take the lowest. :)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I managed to convert it. The main form won't compile but it seems to work. the individual subforms seem to be fine. I deleted the tab control they all sit on and the main form compiled. I re-imported the form and left it like that. The theme settled on an in your face green but I can't do anything about that.

Attachments

• DiabetesReadingTracker_NoData2_20230514_mdbForGasman.zip
    256.2 KB · Views: 70

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Thank you Pat.
I will take a look. No doubt I can pick up some tips from it as well.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
You can set the margins to nothing or zero in the layout properties. They are then no different from a "normal" manually created layout, but with the ability to drop new controls in and adjust the spacing automatically. My biggest problem is actually remembering to use the functionality.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thanks. That's nice to know. I haven't played with them since the beginning.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Condolences on the bad news, hope your DB helps you get it in check!
John,
It was found by accident, otherwise I would not have had a clue. :)
I have lost a stone (14lbs) already, so not all bad news. :)

I was doing it in Excel as that I could use that on my phone, but then decided to just enter on the laptop (much easier), but was then getting unweildy after a few days and several food items per day, so I thought, put it in Access as you are now using the laptop to do it.

Then I can easily summarise and still keep the detail.

It will be a WIP for a while as I slowly decide what I want it to do.
I will review @Pat Hartman's DB and look for some tips from that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom