Another Vista Victim (1 Viewer)

jaydwest

JayW
Local time
Today, 01:36
I have a new computer with Vista Business and MS Access 2003. ALthough I'm not sure I have Access 2003 because it keeps blowing up with lugubrous error messages

1) Cannot find field ''
2) Out of Memory (I have 2GB and this happens with one dbs open)

I'm dying a slow death due to my vistalobotomy

What is the status of Office and Vista Updates?

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks for your help.

jaydwest

JayW
Local time
Bob,

Thanks. SO far that seems to work but it is too soon to say for sure. Have you installed Office 2003 SP3 and Vista SP1 yet?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 00:36
I haven't installed Office 2003 SP3 due to the number of problems with it. And, I have been waiting on Vista SP1 to see what fallout occurs.

jaydwest

JayW
Local time
Bob,

Thanks again for all the help. Things seeem to be more stable now.

jaydwest

JayW
Local time
ANOTHER DAY MORE PROBLEMS.

Bob,

I spoke too soon. This morning I fired up my f..... computer and started to test a database and got all kinds of stupid error messages. This is running on MS Access 2003 on a Vista System. When I run it on an XP box I get none of these errors. Any Ideas?

This is a new Dell loaded at Dell.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Can you share the error messages? That would possibly help.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Just an FYI for you as I check this out. If you have Vista (or if anyone has XP too) you already have a built-in zip utility (unless the European versions have it disabled).

You just need to right-click on a file and select SEND TO > COMPRESSED (zipped) FOLDER.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Jay, any chance you can post the db? I am more visual and it makes it much easier for me to troubleshoot. If you have sensitive data, maybe you can just remove it from a copy and post.

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 17:36
I also have a Vista Business Laptop (ASUS) with Office 2003 and have had no probs (apart from the annoying vista security warnings).

One thing I noted in your doc is that the error messages seem to say they cannot find a field, not the value. I find this sometimes if I change a query and forget to include the field. (Just my 2 cents worth)

Dave

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
How much user memory do you have?

Of last night (New Years Eve)? ..... Very little :p

The laptop came with 1Gb, but when the salesman was demonstrating it he showed me the task manager to see the dual processors working. Went to the tab where the RAM usage is displayed and it was using between 600 & 700 Mb just sitting there doing nothing else.

I asked Why would they sell Vista PC's with only 512Mb ram???

So I got an extra 1Gb installed not long after I bought it.

Dave

jaydwest

JayW
Local time
Are you aware that there are some issues with using Access 2003 with more than 1 GB? I'm using 2 GB.

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
I haven't had one issue with the thing at all with any aspect or program.

I talk to people and they say oooh Vista yuk, stay away from that. The bloke at place that installed the extra RAM (not where I bought the machine) even offered to remove vista and put XP on it because he reckoned Vista was that bad.

Having used it for 6 months, I quite like it. I think the Windows explorer menu bar and the ability to add your own custom shortcuts to the left hand pane is really good.

So what "Issues" have you encountered or heard of ?

Last edited:

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
Further to Bobs post, I have not set Access to run as administrator, and still have had no problems at all.

Last edited:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I haven't had any problems in the 7 months I've had Vista. And I'm using 2000, 2003, and 2007 with it. But, I have set them all to run as Administrator too, so that seemed to help, with Access.

As for everything else, I've had the assorted few compatibility issues with some of my other programs, but nothing I couldn't overcome easily enough. I actually like it quite well.

I also have 2Gb RAM.

jaydwest

JayW
Local time
I'm really happy for you guys. However I have two new Dell Notebooks right out of the box with Vista and 2GB. I'm having problems with all my Access databases and when I load a client database on my systems they crash. The client databases were developed on client systems and developed by their staff, they crash.

I'm sure there is some lugubrious setting somewhere that would magically resolve all these issues but no one seems to know what it is.

I'm totally mistified by this issue. I have been working with Acess for more than 10 years and over time have seem many goofey issues that other users claim they never see, but somehow someone finds a resolution.

So I'm waiting hopefully for the latest stable version of the Service Packs.

I have lost so many billable hours now, I could have purchased two more systems.

jaydwest

JayW
Local time
Furthermore the error messages I'm getting are ridiculuous.

1) I get a file not found message. When I click OK, the file opens. DUH!

2) I get field '' not found. Yet when I set breakpoints, the field exists and has a value. DUH!

3) I get Out of Memory when I open small database and I have 2 GB of memory and one database open and no where near out of memory in the Performance Analyzer. DUH

Then all these errors somehow magically disappear if I close and open the database enough times. ANd then later in the day they magically appear again.

You may not be having this issue but I sure AM. I have been in this business long enough that when I see someone's database with a problem and the client says I have never had this problem, I know something is wrong. Then when I load their database and the problem creates a error message, the client says "Oh yea that happens all the time. "

From what I can read on the web, a lot of users are having these problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom