Associate Image with Record by typing in value on a form (1 Viewer)

jmonica

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:49
Hi,
I'm new and know very little apparently.

I have a form based on a simple two column table. The table has an Item Number Column and a Attachment column which I have loaded with an image for each item number.

I need to have the image of an item appear when I TYPE in an item number into a Text box. Obviously it needs to display the corresponding image attachment.

So I can get the images to display by tabbing through the items one at a time. Great, but I need to be able to Type in a number and have the corresponding image appear. That's the crux of my problem.

What I'm attempting to do is a lot more involved than this, but if I can get this to work, I feel I can implement it into my project, but this is where I have been stuck for days trying to get it to work in even its most basic / simple form but I can't. Can someone please help me? I will be eternally grateful?

I've been reading online articles, Dummies Books and watching You tube videos for this all week and none of them explain how to make it so that I can type in a number and have a image appear based on that item number. Nothing is working. I'm using Access 2010. Thank You for baring with me!
Jim

jmonica

Registered User.
Local time
Hey! Thanks for the fast reply... Yes, I've scoured through that page and many, many others. They all lead me to the same place. I can tab through records and have images appear but I can't create a form that I type a number into and have an item photo appear. I appreciate your help though! Thank You

JIm

jmonica

Registered User.
Local time
Awesome, thanks very much. I will check it out right now. I'll be sure to post any information that I have if I am able to get to this work eventually. Thanks again!

Jim

jmonica

Registered User.
Local time
I don't use attachment fields generally. But I did respond to a poster recently concerning querying to identify which records had attachments.

There was a youtube reference in the post regarding attachments.

Here is a related link.

NOTE: UPDATE Just found this.

see twinnyfo's answer
https://bytes.com/topic/access/answers/959144-how-do-i-display-attachment-table-form

I checked out the links that you posted for me. Thanks again. Still no luck. I never thought this would be such a tough one and something that a lot of other people haven't tried to do over the years. One thing that I did learn a few years ago while crating the inventory program that we use is that there are very few things that come up that just cannot be done. I refuse to believe this is one of them. I may need to pay someone to do it for us though and that will be the first time I have had to resort to that.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:49
1. create a blank form. set its recordsource to your table with attachment
2. drag an attachment control into the form and set its controlsource to the field of you attachment field.
3. resize your form so that only the attachment control is showing.
4. save the form (say formAttach).

5. create another form. drag the textbox control (this one is for your item number).
6. now drop the first form that you made, making it a subform of this form.
7. on this subform's property:
Link Master Fields: <the name of textbox>
Link Child Fields: <the Item Number column> make sure you enclosed in bracket if your field name has spaces in them.

save the second form, and test.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 20:49
You can't display what's stored in the attachment field, at least not according to everything I've read.And you would't want to store pictures in access tbh, it uses massive amounts of resource.
Store your picture in a networked folder, store the path with your item and display it that way.

jmonica

Registered User.
Local time
2. drag an attachment control into the form and set its controlsource to the field of you attachment field.

5. create another form. drag the textbox control (this one is for your item number).
Link Child Fields: <the Item Number column> make sure you enclosed in bracket if your field name has spaces in them.

Awesome going to do tit right now. Thanks VERY much I really appreciate your guidance. The only thing I haven't trued is making a form and subform so this is something that I haven't tried. Thanks for taking the time to type it up for me!!! I will post back results.

jmonica

Registered User.
Local time
You can't display what's stored in the attachment field, at least not according to everything I've read.And you would't want to store pictures in access tbh, it uses massive amounts of resource.
Store your picture in a networked folder, store the path with your item and display it that way.

Thanks Minty. I understand the concept and appreciate your assistance. That's not what I am trying to do though.

jmonica

Registered User.
Local time

Well all I can say is a big THANK YOU! You saved me. It's people like You (and I try to do the same for anyone that I can help) who make it possible for others to be successful by passing along your knowledge which I am sure has come from years of hard work and or training. You are the first and only person (out of many forums I've visited) who got what I wanted to do and gave me a solution to my problem. I am now going to study up on why and how making a subform relates to the original form and try to figure out why this worked. Thank You again Mate!
:)
Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom