Can I change the Record Source for Combo Box? (1 Viewer)

MoHntr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:31
I want to change the "record source" for a combo box so it will store its data in a different table.

Here is what is happening. I add a combo box to my form, whose record source is T100Jobs. I select the table T300Clients in the wizard, then the columns, when it askes where I want to store the data, it only offers me the fields in the T100Jobs table and I wish to store it in the T300Clients table.

Did that make any sense?

MoHntr

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 20:31
Normally a combo is used to select data from a separate table, and then the Primary Key from that table is stored in the table the form is bound to, as a Foreign Key.

Why do you want to use the same table in your combo as both the Row Source and Control Source :confused: This will only create a circular reference and the combo will not work properly, if at all.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:31
it sounds like you are not understanding the use of combo boxes correctly.

A combno box is normally used to select items from a list of alternatives, or in an unbound box, to select an item to which you need to navigate.

What functionality are you trying to achieve with this combo box. ie why should a form that uses Table 1, need to change things in Table 2?

MoHntr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:31
John and Gemma,

After reading your responses.... My reply is this, I have no IDEA what I was trying to do. I was simply trying to add a client to each of my jobs, and was trying to use a linking table which you guys pointed out I didn't need. I added a client ID field to my jobs table and all works perfect.

Just been one of those days. Thanks for your responses.

MoHntr

Simba

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:31
Thanks John and Jemma! I am able to understand a bit more about the combo box.

I have a question now.

I am having a subform. When I select a value, I want that to fill out the address details. I am able to do that.
After selecting the value and when I move to the next record in the main form, it is saying that the values are duplicated.

I do not know, where I am making a mistake. Please point me out.

If you need more details on this, pls visit the following link.

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=944361#post944361

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 20:31
You appear to be using Table Level Lookups in your Table tblPatients, this may not be causing your current troubles, but it will bite you on the butt sooner or latter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom