Can't update record (sometimes) (1 Viewer)

SmallTime

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:08
I've recently come across a problem whilst saving an edited record

I get the following message but only sometimes
could not update currently locked by another session on this machine

Sometimes the record saves without a problem (mainly on the first edit). However, any further edits of the same record mainly but not always triggers the above message. I can't work out why it's happening, It's a split database but I'm the only user on a standalone PC (so no other users editing the same record). Sometimes I get lucky and the record save even after the first edit but not always. There doesn't seem to be any pattern.

Record locks for the form are set to NO LOCKS
Recordset type is set to DYNASET
In settings -
Default open mode it set to SHARED
Default record locking is set to NO LOCKS
Open database by using record-level locking IS CHECKED

This has been working fine for years so I'm a little stumped as to why it should happen now. The only thing I've changed recently is a memo field from Plain text to Rich text.

Whilst writing this I just went back and double checked and found that if I change any other field (not the memo field) the record saved just fine. So the problem is to do with the Rich Text memo field only.

Has anyone else come across this and found a solution?

Many thanks
SmallTime

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:08
Rich text format changed from Access 2003 to Access 2007- It changed from RTF to HTML so this may be the reason - the (hidden) coding for highlighting, underline, bold etc is different

SmallTime

Registered User.
Local time
Yeh, I realised that. but shouldn't make a difference to the save process

Thanks for the reply anyway

SmallTime

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for you time.

I like your idea of not loading subforms until the parent form has loaded, I'll bear it in mind, especially if it reduces network traffic.

Anyway, the link doesn't give me any greater insight to my issue. However I have found that changing the focus to another form and then returning it before saving seems to work. Why that should be, I have no idea, but it works.

I think 2010 is the most unpredictable version of access to date. Maybe MS are farming out development to India and using child labour for testing.

Many thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom