Challenge of the Day (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:36
Ah, but Col will never get a job with the woke brigade except as a shill. He's anti-gay, anti-"mixed-caste", ... you name it, he's "anti it".

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 05:36
STOP putting words in my mouth. What is wrong with you? Was I rude when I replied? Was there some deep, accusatory meaning in my words that only YOU saw as I explained one common usage of the word "den" in the US. You are making an utter fool of yourself in your attempts to make me look bad.
Not at all. You referred to a den. Naturally I thought the meaning is the same as in the UK, a structure made by children in a wood. You explained the US meaning, as did Doc. Fine, but previously in other thread you indicated I was ignorant for not understanding your comments.
Why would I want to make you look bad? You do that with comments about your life experiences which can be at a variance with earlier comments you make.
I'm actually trying to help you by pointing these things out as people from many cultures and languages may need clarification. Surprisingly, there are other countries in the world besides the USA and the UK.
Col

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:36
Obviously in Pat's eyes that makes me ignorant as she likes to say. If you have a sofa bed in there, maybe the so called nanny could live there.
You know EXACTLY to what I am referring. Stop playing dumb. It does not become you. I repeat the offensive comment for your edification and that is the end of the discussion. Your ad hominem attacks are offensive.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
You know EXACTLY to what I am referring. Stop playing dumb. It does not become you. I repeat the offensive comment for your edification and that is the end of the discussion. Your ad hominem attacks are offensive.
How you read comments is up to you. It may be possible that I may not be too clear which may confuse you, so I must try to be clearer with comments as you presumably have some difficulty in processing them.
Col

Cotswold

Local time
Reverting to the original subject.............cats and things.
I noticed that The Doc Man in #3 may have struggled to wash the cat in the washing machine.

I think that the best way to wash a cat is as follows:
1. Sprinkle shampoo into the toilet.
2. Carry the cat in, lift the toilet seat and in one swift movement whip the cat in and slam the lid down.
3. Once the cat's cheerful thrashing has pushed foam out between the top ofthe bowl and the seat, the shampooing is complete
4. Flush two or three times to remove the soap.
5. Have someone make sure every door in the house is closed, except the front door. Which should be wedged open.
6. Stand to one side and quickly lift the seat
7. The cat will fire out of the bathroom, downstairs and out of the front door.
8. After drying out in the sun, it will come trotting back. Happy with its new aroma and none the worse after the spa treatment.

Job done without wasting money on electricity.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@Cotswold - we can use the downstairs toilet, which is only about ten feet from the front door. Less chance of the cat knocking over anything of value. But other than that, your method has some merit.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
@Cotswold: I believe you have a conceptual shortcoming.
How do you propose to keep the cat from clogging the toilet when it is flushed?

We once rescued an unknown cat that was covered in wet mud on a very cold rainy day. We washed it the bathtub. It took it pretty well, which was quite surprising since it was not our cat and we found it wandering around.

Last edited:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
We had an experience years ago, where a stray orange cat came to our basement window and stayed in the area for a few days. We fed him and of course, that encouraged him to stay more. He had a "particular fetor". We brought him and placed him in some warm water in the basement sink, lathered him up with some regular shampoo and massaged it in. To our surprise he started to purr - he really appreciated the TLC. After a good rinse and towel-dry, we enjoyed him as a outdoor pet for a time. When we left the area, he was relocated to a nearby farm. Probably number 3 or 4 of his 9 lives.

True story: Guelph, Ontario 1971

Last edited:

Cotswold

Local time
@Cotswold: I believe you have a conceptual shortcoming.
How do you propose to keep the cat from clogging the toilet when it is flushed?

We once rescued an unknown cat that was covered in wet mud on a very cold rainy day. We washed it the bathtub. It took it pretty well, which was quite surprising since it was not our cat and we found it wandering around.
Methinks you are taking this stuff far too seriously but as you didn't see it, or get it.

It was a flamin' JOKE......a humerous story from England!!!

How could you read that and not laugh for goodness sake?

(It is my understanding that Watercooler is for the lighter side of life. Maybe I'll need to put an explanation label on my posts?)

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@Cotswold - there ARE those forum members who find fault with everything even when NOT directed their way. A "joke" label would be lost on such people. I am purposely leaving out ANY names ... to see which fish has not yet learned to keep its mouth shut when appropriate.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
t was a flamin' JOKE......a humerous story from England!!!
I got it as a joke!! (y)
If I hadn't, I would have been outraged over your post.
As it was, I was simply going along with your joke by responding with an obvious "oversight".;)

Which reminds me of a joke we played on an automotive service advisor when we picked up our car from the repair shop.
One of my daughters was with me and I remarked to him on how we played the game "catch the tossed cat".
The service advisor's face was that of pure incredible shock. 😲

Cotswold

Local time
@Steve R. No worries mate. Or being English maybe "No problem"

But there was a little bit of winding up the cat people in it. But most jokes have a base somewhere.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
(It is my understanding that Watercooler is for the lighter side of life. Maybe I'll need to put an explanation label on my posts?)
You and me both mate! Yanks don't get English humour, some even call you ignorant, just because to them you are a foreigner and not from the great US of A. Then get another mod to give a warning so they stay squeaky clean.
Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
For the record, @ColinEssex - when I gave you the warning, it was not prompted. I decided all on my own at the time that you were approaching a limit of propriety. Pat didn't know I was going to warn you. I didn't ask her permission - because I don't need it when I see someone ragging another forum member. But since then I have laid back because you have been less personal in your attacks.

If you want to rag the USA, go right ahead. Puts you in the same category as Muslims, Jihadists, and Kim Jong Un.

Cotswold

Local time
Now I don't have any problem with the USA. I'm a very understanding and considerate guy. Basically, I'm Captain Perfect and renowned within the family for never being wrong.

I accept that spelling is a problem over there. Like colour, grey, centre and using Z instead of S. Their invention of strange first names, like Clint, Barack, Kiefer, etc. They even had a singer who had a name that sounds the same name as toilet paper, Lou Rawls and were happy with that.

They don't have a bonnet or a boot on a car, only a hood and a trunk. A den is just another room and they have a bathroom in every restaurant, which seems a bit unnecessary and I must say confusing to us Brits. Particularly as I've never actually found a bath in any of them, or any bath towels for that matter. They have things we don't and never will have. Like a levee, or plains, or tornadoes, cheap petrol or aliens. Aliens apparently only go to the USA for some reason. They never, ever go to to Heptonstall, Bradford or Swindon.

They have the Trump family, the Clintons and the Bushes. Now, they also have Harry and Megan Markle-Windsor, AKA the Markle-Sussexes. For which we are and always will be eternally grateful for adopting them and giving them $millions so they can stay over there. Just like to say we don't want them back, ever. Apparently they are living in somewhere called Montechito.

The Yanks have always overcharged us for software, if it's $100 in the USA, we get charged £100 and do we complain? (sometimes maybe)

But I take the view that none of this is any of my goddamn business. Especially what they do, say, or think in the USA. But at the end of the day everyone in the USA is always way, way more friendly to the English than the French, Welsh or Scots will ever be.

So they're OK.

Last edited:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A little more humour and cats.
1691073439555.png

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
If you want to rag the USA, go right ahead. Puts you in the same category as Muslims, Jihadists, and Kim Jong
Don't forget the British press and TV, any chance to slag off the yanks is headline news, especially if the wife of Prince Harry is around.
But at the end of the day everyone in the USA is always way, way more friendly to the English than the French, Welsh or Scots will ever be.

So they're OK.
I agree, over the years I've known dozens of Americans, even worked with a few. Never had a problem and I would say 95% of them are incredibly polite and friendly.
America and American ways have always been a source of amusement to us Brits but in a nice way. For example, when I was little I couldn't understand why American cars had a Fender - why have a guitar in a car?
American words? Yes, the complex word 'tap' is much easier if pronounced 'faucet '. Why do you say 'horseback riding'? Is it because without the word 'horseback' Americans have trouble knowing where to sit. It's like 'sidewalk' remove the 'side' bit and Americans wander all over the road.
I could go on especially about your choices of Presidents, but I won't as this just a lighthearted post, no offence intended.
Suffice to say, Americans have given us many fab things over the years and some strange things. But overall, Americans and the USA are good and I have no problem with them, even if they seem weird to us.
Col

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
ust like to say we don't want them back, ever.
They've been canned from their media jobs because they didn't produce anything so Megan is trying to get work again as an actress and who knows what Harry is trying to do to drum up the bucks they need to support their lifestyle. But, we do hear divorce rumors. So, maybe you'll get Harry back. Hopefully, a little wiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom