Today, 00:42
Which black object is the cat? We usually find out when we sit down, 😻
1690642629636.png

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
We had a sofa bed in the den and when one of our cats was small, he used to climb between the pillows and hide inside. We were used to it but it really freaked out a guest if he sat down and a cat came flying out of the sofa:ROFLMAO:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:42
The cat is NOT the object that will do nothing if thrown into the washing machine. That test usually works pretty well.

(Just kidding. ;) )

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 05:42
This reminds me of a Sopranos episode with an example of the shows often dark comedy, When Chris was watching TV and doped up with heroin, he accidentally sat on Adriana's designer dog Cosette, that was on the sofa. You heard a little little squeak as he supposedly broke its neck.

Adriana retuned and found the dog. Chris of course wouldn't admit to having anything to do with it, and instinctively lying to avoid any involvement said "she must've crawled underneath me for warmth!"

Last edited:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Our cat was accused of so many things in our rural neighbourhood.
We had to put her in a witness protection program.

Attachments

• CatRacoon1.PNG
    CatRacoon1.PNG
    970.7 KB · Views: 45

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
We had a sofa bed in the den . . . . .
In correct English, a 'den' is a structure built usually by children. It's made of branches, sticks and twigs, usually in a wood. You certainly wouldn't have a sofa bed in it. Its a bit like a wigwam red Indians live in.
Col

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
@ColinEssex: Before quibbling over a minor issue, check your assertion through research!
Even the Cambridge Dictionary acknowledges this definition as valid "correct" English.
a room in a house or apartment, used for activities not involving work:
Assuming you have a pet, how about playing along, and telling a fun story to share with the community.:)

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
In correct English, a 'den' is a structure built usually by children. It's made of branches, sticks and twigs, usually in a wood. You certainly wouldn't have a sofa bed in it. Its a bit like a wigwam red Indians live in.
Col
Sorry, Col - I think they've got you on the definition.

Heck, I have no claims of great wealth, but even I have TWO dens in my house... a smaller den close to the kitchen where folks can relax while waiting for supper if they arrive earlier than expected, and a larger den with a large-screen TV, surround sound system, and my electronic organ, all part of an entertainment room. And oh yes, we have two sofas with built-in recliners in the big den and a single sofa with recliners in the small den.

Dens, usually called by that name, are a common room in any but the smallest houses, though sometimes they are called a "Living Room." But a rose by any other name smells as sweet...

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
@ColinEssex: Before quibbling over a minor issue, check your assertion through research!
Even the Cambridge Dictionary acknowledges this definition as valid "correct" English.

Assuming you have a pet, how about playing along, and telling a fun story to share with the community.:)
OK, 'den' is not used in normal English in the UK in the same context, I had no idea a den in the USA is basically a normal living room. Obviously in Pat's eyes that makes me ignorant as she likes to say. If you have a sofa bed in there, maybe the so called nanny could live there.
Sometimes UK houses have a 'study'. The nearest to 'den' in the UK is a 'man cave' which is an area outside the house where men can go to get away from the wife and do 'man things', women are not usually admitted. Many men have a 'man cave'. It is usually a garden shed or converted garage.
I dont have any pets except for 20 goldfish that live in the garden pond. We did have a Border Collie for 15 years and a cat for 12 years.

Col

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I had no idea a den in the USA is basically a normal living room
It is normally a secondary smaller, less formal room. "Family room" has gotten to be bigger and fancier and can be a replacement for the more formal "living room" in "open plan" floor plans.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Obviously in Pat's eyes that makes me ignorant as she likes to say.
You are doing it to yourself. The drift in the meaning of words in the UK compared to the US has been known and has been written about extensively. Should I see the printed word "chips" from a person who is in the UK, I'm not going to make a public condemnation that that person should have used the "correct" US word "french fries". (Not to also mention that this type of quibbling would be also be a frivoulous comment demonstrating a lack of knowledge.) So if you see a word apparantly used in an unusual context, do a bit of investigation.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Pat's eyes that makes me ignorant as she likes to say.

I like the way you try to imply that Pat is morally in the wrong, and by definition making yourself right. You are the only one around here who constantly pokes people with a stick... 🪵

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Obviously in Pat's eyes that makes me ignorant as she likes to say.
STOP putting words in my mouth. What is wrong with you? Was I rude when I replied? Was there some deep, accusatory meaning in my words that only YOU saw as I explained one common usage of the word "den" in the US. You are making an utter fool of yourself in your attempts to make me look bad.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@Steve R. I sent your picture to my daughter. She got a real kick out of it. Our favorite cat for about 20 years was black. He had this thing about sneaking into my bedroom so he could sleep on my bed. I'm allergic to cats but I found I could live with them in the house if I vacuumed frequently, kept them out of my bedroom, and washed my hands after I petted them. I love cats and wanted to live with them so I made the effort. He had some sixth sense that told him when someone was going upstairs to go into the master bedroom and so he found ways to sneak in. I eventually stopped leaving the comforter on the bed and just put it in the closet every morning. I just left a blanket on top so I wouldn't have to wash the comforter every time the little devil:devilish: snuck in there.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Its a bit like a wigwam red Indians live in.

Why do Native Americans wear feathered headdresses? To keep their wig warm.
(Works best if you say it with a Boston accent that swallows "r".)

AngelSpeaks

Local time
Col
You have to be freaking kidding me! You should do an internet search on words that you don't recognize or are used in what you consider a strange way before making yourself look foolish. I'm always reading British historical murder mysteries and I'm always doing that. Or when hubby and I watch Outlander, I do a lot of interpreting for him.

You are making yourself look like an eejit.

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:42
It's intentional in order to get a rise, every time someone reacts to Col its a small victory. He knows exactly what he doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom