Children - sensitive little dears or just normal

Kraj said:
In general, I think such things are ridiculous. However, there are some things worth changing/removing. Considering the controversial history of "Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Mo", for example, I never say it anymore and I don't think children should.

Last night I had a dream that someone started up a huge debate on homosexuality here. I really need to get out more. :rolleyes:

Shall we start another one? (Just kidding...:) )

Edit- How did that "Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Mo" thing go?

KenHigg said:
Shall we start another one? (Just kidding...:) )

Edit- How did that "Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Mo" thing go?

Somebody has to do it

Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Mo
Catch a ****** by his toe
If he hollers let him go
Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Mo

Brian

PS when I said it as a kid I didn't know what a ****** was , it was just a rhyme, but I agree with Kraj on this and saying like

"The ****** in the woodpile"

MrsGorilla said:
Anyway, I pretty much agree with what lmnop said. I think all that stuff is ridiculous.
Thats the general opinion - so why do we do it? does it happen in the US?

What I can't quite grasp, is that the so called "injured parties" don't mind it. The normal people don't mind it. So who is actually complaining?

As Lisa said, if kids have a question they'll ask it.
In the case of "shielding" them from nasty witches and hokus-pokus, shouldn't kids be allowed to see these (childrens) films like Harry Potter if they want to? Isn't it part of growing up?

I'm not sure how a parent would separate the so called "miracles" in the bible from a magic spell that Sabrina the Teenage Witch does. To the kids, its all the same isn't it? Or is Sabrina too damaging for kids?

Col

Brianwarnock said:
Somebody has to do it

Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Mo
If he hollers let him go
Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Mo

Brian

PS when I said it as a kid I didn't know what a ****** was , it was just a rhyme, but I agree with Kraj on this and saying like

"The ****** in the woodpile"

Wasn't there a bit about 'If he hollers, make him pay..."?

ColinEssex said:

What I can't quite grasp, is that the so called "injured parties" don't mind it. The normal people don't mind it. So who is actually complaining?

In the case of "shielding" them from nasty witches and hokus-pokus, shouldn't kids be allowed to see these (childrens) films like Harry Potter if they want to? Isn't it part of growing up?

I'm not sure how a parent would separate the so called "miracles" in the bible from a magic spell that Sabrina the Teenage Witch does. To the kids, its all the same isn't it? Or is Sabrina too damaging for kids?

Col

The whole ban the 'black' from 'black sheep' is just an extension of the mentality that tries to tell you you're not competent enough to own guns...

Brianwarnock said:
Not in the version I knew, but there may be others.

Brian

Did you do it with the fist thing to choose sides when playing games?

KenHigg said:
The whole ban the 'black' from 'black sheep' is just an extension of the mentality that tries to tell you you're not competent enough to own guns...
there's always one black sheep in the family :rolleyes:

Brianwarnock said:
Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Mo
If he hollers let him go
Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Mo
Is also the way we learned it (most likely my English ancestry), but once learned that it was bad, it got switched to "Catch a rabbit by his toe, if he wiggles let him go", instead.
I also grew up with ****** Rigging (since changed to jury rigging) and my wife grew up with ****** toes (Brazilian nuts).
Most of those we didn't learn were bad from our parent either, but friends or school. They were just sayings we learned, and didn't associate to anything else.

Brianwarnock said:
Yes, any selection need.

Brian

So if we got to the end of the ditty and it wasn't the results we wanted we could add:

If he hollers make him pay, fifteen dollars every day...

Then if we needed to, we could add a third:

My mother told me to pick the very best one.

:D

KenHigg said:
So if we got to the end of the ditty and it wasn't the results we wanted we could add:

If he hollers make him pay, fifteen dollars every day...

Then if we needed to, we could add a third:

My mother told me to pick the very best one.

We also liked Sissors, paper rock for selection

Brianwarnock said:
Kens ditty seems to allow for cheating:rolleyes:

Brian

oops time to go!

I think the correct word would be Just In Time 'Modification' of the rules...:D

ColinEssex said:

Yes. All the time. Especially around the holidays - my sister is a teacher in a middle school, and they can't have any one denomination dominate the holiday proceedings. They try to celebrate everyone's hioliday to an extent, and parents still bitch. I worked with a Jewish physician who would get all bent out of shape during the holidays because those of us who celebrate Christmas would decorate in our own accustomed ways. We basically told him "Put up a menorah. Get yourself a dradle. We would love to see it." That kind of shut him up for awhile.

ColinEssex said:

Personally, I think there is a great deal of magic that goes on in the world anyway. Most people call it "coincidence", but I don't believe that there is any such thing. So I think banning Harry Potter is just ridiculous. Children are magical and think magically, and have the imaginations that all of us adults wish we had. Why would I be interested in snuffing that out? I remember all of the "pretending" I used to do as a child, and I feel less of a person since it was conditioned out of me.

Lisa

ColinEssex said:
dare we ask who was in this dream???

Col
Oh, don't worry. No one specific, I just dreamt that the topic was there.

ColinEssex said:
I think the U.S. has a huge case of squeaky wheel syndrome. As I've mentioned many times in the past, the extremists dominate policy because they're the ones who are shouting the loudest and who are focusing all their energy into a certain thing. So why does crap like this happen? Because some people cry bloody murder. And since we value individual freedom in this country, the courts generally rule in favor of protecting an individual's rights even if it hoses a group of other individuals. There's already a cultural backlash against this phenomenon; sooner or later there'll be a legal backlash too.

ColinEssex said:
I'm not sure how a parent would separate the so called "miracles" in the bible from a magic spell that Sabrina the Teenage Witch does. To the kids, its all the same isn't it?
Yeah, I'd agree. The difference is that the same people who are so intensly religious as to be freaked out by "magic" are specifically told in the Bible that magic is evil. Does it make sense? Nope. Has making sense ever mattered when discussing faith? Nope.

KenHigg said:
Wasn't there a bit about 'If he hollers, make him pay..."?
In some versions, yeah.

FoFa said:
Most of those we didn't learn were bad from our parent either, but friends or school. They were just sayings we learned, and didn't associate to anything else.
Ideally, this is a great thing. I think it's quite assinine that we are taught to be offended by certain words. All it does is reinforce artificial social stigmas. But unfortunately it's a double-edged sword: if you teach kids not to say offensive words, they then learn that they are offensive and use them accordingly.

Brianwarnock said:
Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Mo
If he hollers let him go
Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Mo

Ah. The version we learned was (ahem) different which is why I was confused. I think we always said tiger instead, so I was trying to figure out why that was bad. :confused: :D

ColinEssex said:

I don't think there is anything that bad about the Harry Potter movies, and I'm saying it as a Christian. In fact, it wouldn't be much different than watching the Lord of the Rings movies or The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. I'm not even really sure why such a fuss was made of it. I remember watching and reading stuff like that when I was a kid and had a great time with it. All children use their imaginations in that way and as long as they know the difference between that and reality then who cares? :rolleyes:

In fact, fussing about it probably helps the movie by giving it publicity, etc. :p

MrsGorilla said:
Ah. The version we learned was (ahem) different which is why I was confused. I think we always said tiger instead, so I was trying to figure out why that was bad.

And that is the same version I got too, Cindy.
"Catch a tiger by the toe.
If he hollers, let him go.
Out goes Y, O, U and you shall not be called IT!"

Do you think we share a parent? My dad was a known skirt chaser.

It's also the version I learned. I'm pretty sure the "tiger" update goes back quite a while, but the origin of its use in the U.S. is bad enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom