Close a Specific Workbook from a Batch File

M_S_Jones

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:08
Hello,

I'm trying to ensure that a particular workbook (named Despatch_Schedule) on a particular machine is closed at certain times of the day. The workbook is populated with data from an SOP, and needs to be closed while the update takes place.

I have made a new workbook and given it a Workbook_Open() macro which closes Despatch_Schedule. I planned to schedule a batch file to open this new workbook for me from the machine it is on, which in turn will close Despatch_Schedule, save the changes and then close itself. This works fine as long as I open the new workbook myself. If I try to open the new workbook from the batch file, it does not.

The batch file simply opens the workbook like this:

Code:
C:
CD\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10
Excel.exe "\\Sellit-server\routeone\PRD Reports\CloseDespSched.xls"
EXIT
The Wookbook_Open() macro consists of the following:

Code:
On Error GoTo OpenWorkBook:
Workbooks("Despatch_Schedule.xls").Activate

OpenWorkBook:
If Err.Number = 9 Then
    Workbooks.Open FileName:="\\Sellit-server\routeone\PRD Reports\Current\Despatch_Schedule.xls"
    Resume
End If
Workbooks("Despatch_Schedule.xls").Close True
ActiveWorkbook.Close
If I have my main Despatch_Schedule workbook open and then open my new workbook, it will close it. If I have Despatch_Schedule open and then run the batch file that calls the new workbook, it will open another instance of Despatch_Schedule (i.e. go into the error trap, as if there wasn't an instance of it open), and close that. I didn't think that I could have two workbooks with the same name open at the same time, but I've put an exit sub in the code and had a look, and it does.

I'd be grateful of any assistance that anyone can offer.

Thanks,

Matthew

May sound silly but here is a function that checks if an Excel workbook is Open.

Code:
Function IsXLBookOpen(strName As String) As Boolean

'Function designed to test if a specific Excel
     'workbook is open or not.

Dim i As Long, XLAppFx As Excel.Application, NotOpen As Boolean

'Find/create an Excel instance
    On Error Resume Next
    Set XLAppFx = GetObject(, "Excel.Application")
    If Err.Number = 429 Then
        NotOpen = True
        Set XLAppFx = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
        Err.Clear
    End If

'Loop through all open workbooks in such instance
    For i = XLAppFx.Workbooks.Count To 1 Step -1
        If XLAppFx.Workbooks(i).Name = strName Then Exit For
    Next i

'Set all to False
    IsXLBookOpen = False

'Perform check to see if name was found
    If i <> 0 Then IsXLBookOpen = True

'Close if was closed
    If NotOpen Then XLAppFx.Quit

'Release the instance
    Set XLAppFx = Nothing

End Function

If you run this and find that it is then you can terminate it by using the normal quit command

David

Thank you for your reply, David.

I have just tried using that in an if statement and I still have the same problem in that it runs fine as long as I open the file myself. As soon as the batch file comes into the equation I get a problem. The problem I am getting now is 'subscript out of range' and when I debug I am shown the line within my if statement that closes the workbook. I have tried closing just the file name, also the name and full path, but I get the same error for both. I have also found that I cannot set focus to that workbook upon confirming that it is open, i.e.

Code:
If IsXLBookOpen("Despatch_Schedule.xls") Then
       Workbooks("Despatch_Schedule.xls").Activate
End If
I get the same error there too.

Thanks,

Matthew

If no one has any further ideas on how to get this to work, can anyone suggest another way of doing this? Is there a way to call a macro in a spreadsheet from a batch file or VB Script that would execute the macro within the open workbook, and not try to open a new instance of it? If so, then I could add a macro to close the workbook and save changes, and schedule this macro to be called.

Thanks,

Matthew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom