Complex Example Code in MS Help Files (1 Viewer)

mamandeno

Dabbler in Access
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:14
Does anyone know why Microsoft sometimes use such complex Help examples?

Often I find the example code in which they have demonstrated a function is so complex, I can't see the wood for the trees.

I thought a basic maxim of teaching was to demonstrate a principle in the simplest way possible?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 13:14
Personally, I find Access help very good. A bit of time spend amending the examples can teach you loads. I often recommend posters here to use Access help.
In fact, if more people got off their a*ses and used the search here and Access help functions, we wouldn't get such stupid questions being posted.
People these days always want to do as little as possible and get others to do the work for them, it gets right up my nose:mad:

Lazy gits

Col

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 08:14
IMHO - I think you are both correct. On the one hand, I can see where a lot of the coding examples you find Microsoft has put in their help stuff can be a bit over whelming to a 'coding' newbie. On the other hand, a lot of stuff like function syntax help and events and methods help is very well done and invaluable - :) My 2 cents :)

git
–noun British Slang. a foolish or contemptible person
:eek: :eek: :eek:

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:14
I find this thread interesting, because I usually find the HELP files are WAY to simple for what I am trying to do, hence not much help.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 07:14
I haven't ever had any problem with the Access help files, and as FoFa said, sometimes they are too simple for what I'm trying. Some of the examples on Microsoft's help site or MSDN can be pretty complex.

R

Rich

I would have learnt very little about Access if it wasn't for the excellent Help files, the main problem was knowing what to look for:(

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 22:14
Rich said:
I would have learnt very little about Access if it wasn't for the excellent Help files, the main problem was knowing what to look for:(

Yes, their indexing could be better.

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 14:14
I learnt more from this forum than from the Access help files. They lack a lot of vital info, i.e if you search on Normalization you'll get this :

Split a table into related tables (MDB)
Note The information in this topic applies only to a Microsoft Access database (.mdb).

On the Tools menu, point to Analyze, and then click Table.
Follow the instructions in the steps of the Table Analyzer Wizard.
Note In a Microsoft Access project, the tables reside in a Microsoft SQL Server database; therefore, the Table Analyzer is not available.

On the other hand, for simple things like Dcount or Append query the help files are good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom