Connect MS Access 'front end' to online database. possible? or, best alternative? (1 Viewer)

MyTech

Access VBA
Local time
Today, 06:32
(There are no satisfying results on a Google search for this subject)

SINCE I'M GOOD IN MS ACCESS VBA, WHAT WOULD BE MY BEST OPTION FOR THE FOLLOWING CIRCUMSTANCES?

I know VBA quite well, and I want to create a database to be used by users worldwide, and hope to grow to thousand's of users.
I will be the only editor of the database structure, but users input will need to be saved to the database.

It is ok with me that the front end will be an MS Access file which the user will have to download or will get it by email, I understand that I can make the front end check for new version and download it automatically. I actually prefer that it should be presented to users as a program for itself - like MS Access, rather then the user should see it in a web browser.

1) Is it possible to connect the Front End to an Online Database?
2) If not, what would be the best alternative language to use (=learn by 'hands on') - taking in account that I come from Access VBA?

NigelShaw

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:32
Hi,

you could do it through asp pages. I have an online back end that i communicate to / from with asp pages local to the back end db.

hth

Nidge

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:32
I'm not qualified to give an opinion on "best", but you can certainly connect Access to an online SQL Server db. The instance I saw of it used a System DSN where the Server was the IP address of the server. It would likely be problematic to set up a DSN for the number of users you're contemplating, but you could certainly go unbound with the appropriate connection string, or go the DSN-less route, coding the address into your db. Depending on the db's complexity, I'd probably be going the unbound route anyway, to tightly control what goes over the wire.

MyTech

Access VBA
Local time
Thank you Nidge and Paul.

Nidge, I am blank in this subject (yet). Can you please explain to me some dumb questions, so I will know what to do in the next step? like...

• Do I need to buy a program to be able to create/convert ASP items?
  • Is the Front End and/or Back End an ASP item, or is ASP just a 'method' to connect a local MS Access Front End file to an online MS Access Back End file?
  • (Can the online file be hosted on my own computer? or do I have to pay for a compatible hosting site?)

Thanks.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
In case Nidge has gone to the pub, ASP is a web programming language, which you said you preferred not to use (the user would be in a web browser):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Server_Pages

Thus the front end would be ASP, the back end in Access or whatever. I think there are programs to write it, but you can just write it in Notepad or whatever as well. It's certainly a viable option; I didn't mention it because of your stated preference.

MyTech

Access VBA
Local time
Oh! I thought YOU were gone to the pub.. ;) Thank you Paul.

I am actually ready to learn any new language if that is better for my situation. I don't think it will be a big hassle for me.

My main goal is:
  1. AN ONLINE DATABASE. which is accessible by...
  2. A DESKTOP 'PROGRAM'. 'not' by web browser. (I am ready to also give up on this desire if it will cost me 'much' more work.)
And of course, NOT 'TOO' EXPENSIVE.

Have a good idea for me? :confused:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No pub for me. It's dinner time in England for Nidge, but I'm just about to head out for lunch.

An idea other than the one I threw out in post 3?

NigelShaw

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:32
Hi Guys

Sorry, I didn't see your reply. No pub for me I'm afraid, good old fashioned DIY plastering of the hallway. Oh, and it's almost bed time lol.

I have a couple of asp pages I could dig out. It's similar to vba in many respects. You could adapt it easy enough.

Next few days while plaster dries lol

Nidge

Max D

Registered User.
Local time
MyTech, you can connect Access frontend to MySQL server through ODBC. Every hosting, even the cheapest one gives you an MySQL databases service.

MyTech

Access VBA
Local time
Max thanks,

So I can use MySQL only on a hosting database server? I can't find a way to host it myself on my windows 7 ultimate dell workstation?

Max D

Registered User.
Local time
Sure, you can run MySQL server on your PC. Or, even better, you can install MS SQL Express - it is free and integrates better with Access.

But you need to have an external IP adress (this is your internet provider / network administrator option) so people can connect to your PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom