data normalization pls help ! (1 Viewer)

daliboy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:04
I need to normalize data for a car rental shop. this is the uesr views data:

CARS: License plate number, type of car, required driving license class, price per day
DRIVERS: Name, contact info (phone no – both cell and land line, email, address), driving license class, price per day
ORDERS: Customer, rental days, type of car, name of driver (if required), car returned in good order?
COSTUMERS: Name, Contact info (both land line and cell phone number, email, address), driving license class and serial number
PAYMENT: Type of payment, amount paid, date

can some expert give me an idea of the design, i mean all that 1 2 3 normalization forms ?

thanks for the help

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Today, 05:04
CARS: License plate number, type of car, required driving license class, price per day

To support the above table you will need the following additonal tables

Car Types
Driving License classes

PAYMENT: Type of payment, amount paid, date
To support this table you will need

Payment types table

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 00:04
This design is all over the place. :eek:

Orders would be the main table. It would have a one to many link to a customers table and a one to many link to a car_id table. I'm not sure what the payments table you have would contain? Generally when I've rented a card it had one payment.

And depending on the purpose for the Car Type and Driving License class tables I'm not sure if I'd link these or just use them for look up tables...

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Sounds like a nice school project...

daliboy

Registered User.
Local time
Sounds like a nice school project...
yeah don ask me ask my brother.... the jerk is all the time on this stupid World of Warcaft ... gonna kick his ass.... anyway thanks for the help to all of you

KenHigg

Local time
You did log back in - ?! Sorry for the comments. Hope you get it working.

daliboy

Registered User.
Local time
This design is all over the place. :eek:

Orders would be the main table. It would have a one to many link to a customers table and a one to many link to a car_id table. I'm not sure what the payments table you have would contain? Generally when I've rented a card it had one payment.

And depending on the purpose for the Car Type and Driving License class tables I'm not sure if I'd link these or just use them for look up tables...
well the payments table i would use the methods of payment (cash,credit card,etc)

KenHigg

Local time
So it would simply be a look-up table and not have an established relationship.

daliboy

Registered User.
Local time
i am not sure.... i really don understand all these things..i am trying to learn it from some guides.... but it sucks :D

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Well I would be willing to help, but I am NOT going to spel it out for you....

If you make your stuff in the 0 normal form and tell me what the first normal form is... we can go from there.

daliboy

Registered User.
Local time
Well I would be willing to help, but I am NOT going to spel it out for you....

If you make your stuff in the 0 normal form and tell me what the first normal form is... we can go from there.
well man i don understand u with that 0 normal form but i know that the 1st one is about :
i must not duplicate data within the same row in a table ;
after that i must c8 separate tables for the related data and set primary keys.

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
0 normal form is, just a list of data you need without thinking about tables or normal forms whatever... Just a long list of data field you need.

The first normal form takes care of generating your basic table ideas. Split the list of data you have into seperate categories/tables and find a Primary Key of these tables.

daliboy

Registered User.
Local time
well i have the 0 form then...all the data i need to fill in ms access....i don know how to split the data in correct tables...ffs

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
You do... and you are the only one that does.

Start by taking all the "car parts" and putting them into a Car table.
Then take all the "Customer parts" and put them into a Customer table
etc.

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
ffs??

Looks like you are about 90% of the way to normalization allready with that data...
Problems I see:
1) Nothing has a Primary key
2) what happens with people that have 3 cell phones or 2 landlines? 2 Email addresses?
3) Multiple licences...

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
well i have the 0 form then... the whole data i need to fill in MS access... but i cant do all these tables correctly...ffs
this is the data in 0 form : http://uploading.com/files/M22VMTSH/Data to be filled in the DB.pdf.html

Repeating your post, will lead to me repeating mine....

ffs??

Looks like you are about 90% of the way to normalization allready with that data...
Problems I see:
1) Nothing has a Primary key
2) what happens with people that have 3 cell phones or 2 landlines? 2 Email addresses?
3) Multiple licences...

daliboy

Registered User.
Local time
its ok man don bother with me i will handle it somehow ;)
thanks anyway

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom