data normalization pls help ! (1 Viewer)

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 21:52
If you can apply the _ correctly and consistantly it is not a problem however this is immediatly the problem.

I right now am working with a Million $ app that uses _
ID_Cust is consistantly thru the database
Cust_Name ... OK
CustStreetName ... Erm??
CustPostal_code ... What?
Also table names:
Customer
Cust_Details
Customer__Parent <= notice YES double _ and the Cust vs Customer as subtables.

The adding or missing _ is really driving me crazy... if implemented complete and full... I dont see the issue, but often times it is not causing headaches

Consistancy and a proper naming convention is really really important for future maintenance. In a "drag and drop" kind of environment like access maybe a less of a 'real' issue... but once get used to things like this... its hard to get out of the habit.
Any naming convention if not applied consistently can cause problems. My point was that IMHO it is Ok to use _ in names if you want to. As I said it is a matter of personal preference. Cust v Customer can be a problem regardless of the use of underscores

Ppersonally I don't use the underscore method because it is just extra typing but if it suits some people then that's OK by me.

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 22:52
Ppersonally I don't use the underscore method because it is just extra typing but if it suits some people then that's OK by me.
Fine by me too... But given Million$ apps cannot get this right... it is safe to assume we 'normal' people will F-up as well.

Better to not use it at all, as a rule of thumb.

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:52
I always regard the something_1, something_2 situation as a warning that there are normalisation issues that will need investigating.

ah, yes, that's a better way of putting it. it's what i was trying to get at... the solution of using a new tblSomething in my example above should normalise that data and rectify that issue.

thanks for putting it in proper terms rabbie (i.e., "normalisation" rather than my huge rant!) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom