Database Window and Security in 2007 (1 Viewer)

LadyDi

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:20
I have two more questions for you regarding Access 2007.

In Access 2003, I could hide the Database Window by unchecking the "Display Database Window" checkbox in the start up dialog box. Is there a way to do this in Access 2007?

I have also recently discovered that an unauthorized person has been going into the master copies of my 2003 databases and creating queries and reports. I know from previous posts, that there is no User Level Security in Access 2007. Is there anything in Access 2007 that I can set up to prevent unauthorized people from creating objects in the master copy of the database?

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
1) I am pretty sure you can disable the Navigation Pane (e.g. the 2007's replacement for Database Windows) by going to the Office button -> Access Option and clear the checkbox there.

2) You can consider distributing MDE only to your users. While it may not stop your users from creating tables & queries, it would be more difficult because UI would not be available for those operations and they would have to do it in code somehow.

3) Alternatively, you can implement a database password and work out a system to pass it in when the front-end is opened properly so users never get prompted with a password but if they try to open the database by say, holding shift down, it wouldn't function correctly.

4) You could look at vPPC to implement ULS-like security on your 2007 system.

5) Are you actually using .accdb files? If you're still using .mdb files you still can use ULS in 2007.

6) Not a direct answer but consider this: Sometime the problem is not best solved by software but rather by something else. In this context, your HR director may be actually the best resource you have by attaching obligations on your users to play nice with the file and passing out warning & termination to users who do not respect the boundary. This is especially true if you can argue that it will cost your company money and time to clean up the mess your users leave behind, the extra cost of securing and maintaining it over voluntary cooperation.

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:20
I have also recently discovered that an unauthorized person has been going into the master copies of my 2003 databases and creating queries and reports. I know from previous posts, that there is no User Level Security in Access 2007. Is there anything in Access 2007 that I can set up to prevent unauthorized people from creating objects in the master copy of the database?

You can also disable holding down SHIFT while opening the file. What I do is I have a screen in the program that allows me to enter a password that will enable the SHIFT.

SHADOW

LadyDi

Registered User.
Local time
I currently have Access 2003 (.mdb), but as of September 1, my company is changing Access 2007. I want to be prepared, when they make the switch.

How do you set up the password that can be bypassed by how the database is opened?

Do you use the vPPC package? Is that package already included in 2007, or would I need to download it? The last post in the link you provided mentions that it is already in 2007. I'm not sure if that means if you have it loaded in 2003 that it will transfer to 2007 or 2007 comes with it loaded on.

Banana

Local time
If you're still using .mdb, you can still use it even in 2007 and keep your ULS so there's no need to change anything.

Setting up the password would require some VBA code to open the database. Basically the idea is that your front-end doesn't have the linked table by default, and at start up, it attempts to links the table, passing an option to not save the password so it's only good for one session as well the password which you would hide somewhere on the file.**

vPPC is a separate download that's supposed to be an add-on. If you go to the near end of that thread, you should find a download for most recent version, I think. Again, this is only necessary if you are using .accdb files and not .mdb files which still has ULS even in 2007.

LadyDi

Registered User.
Local time
I'm afraid I don't quite understand.

Are you saying that all the databases that I currently have in mdb format will not automatically change to accdb format when 2007 is installed on my computer?

Banana

Local time
Not if you explicitly convert the file to .accdb, no. You still can open .mdb natively in 2007 and use/manage ULS within 2007.

2007 behaves differently when you have .mdb or .accdb open. With an .accdb open, there's no buttons on ribbon for ULS or replication, but it's there when you have .mdb open. On the other hand, you can't add 2007 features such as multi-valued fileds to the .mdb files, but those features aren't really that worth it so I don't think you'll miss it.

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:20
I currently have Access 2003 (.mdb), but as of September 1, my company is changing Access 2007. I want to be prepared, when they make the switch.

Good luck. Here are my 2 cents:

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=791677&postcount=7

One item there is that it doesn't export to Excel. Microsoft claims that if you install SP2 then it will export to Excel. I have done so but it still won't export. I have an irate client emailing me every day that he can no longer export to Excel since he installed Access 2007 and he shares my experience that SP2 doesn't make a difference. Some posters on the forum report having succeeded with this so maybe there's some combination of service packs, compatibility packs, hotfixes that will make it work.

Since I posted this, I've encountered more headaches with Access 2007.

How do you set up the password that can be bypassed by how the database is open.

Here's a good example:

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=177441

SHADOW

Last edited:

LadyDi

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for the information and advice. I appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom