display existing data on data entry form (1 Viewer)

max1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:39
Hi,

My db has multiple linked tables. As time passes and work on a project continues data needs to be added to a separate table that is linked to the first table to be populated.

ie, Initial design data is entered first, when drilling is complete more data is added to a linked table, when drilling is surveyed yet more data is added to the second table.

What I want to be able to do is to query for a particular set of existing design data, display this on a form and on the same line enable data entry to other fields from other tables which are linked to the existing design data.

What is the best method to achieve this?

Thanks

Last edited:

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 01:39
What do you mean, "on the same line?"
display this on a form and on the same line enable data entry to other fields from other tables
In Access there are forms and subforms, which is a common way to represent one "parent" with many "child" records. The one "parent" record shows in the main form, and the subform displays many "child" records.

max1

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for your response,

Most of the parent records will have one only child record. Some parent records will have multiple child records and some none.

For speed of data entry I don't want to have to used the mouse to move from one parent record to the next and into child records.

Previously I have only used subforms when they are based directly on tables. here I want to query to pull in relevant parent records which will remain unchanged then add data to the child records with the option to occasionally add multiple child records. I want to be able to view many lines of parent records on the screen.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
This . . .
pull in relevant parent records which will remain unchanged then add data to the child records with the option to occasionally add multiple child records.
. . . sounds like a main form with a subform.
This . . .
I want to be able to view many lines of parent records on the screen.
. . . might be achieved with a ListBox showing significant fields of the parent records as a selector. Clicking in the list navigates to that record in the main form, with the subform, as above.

Does that satisfy your purpose?

max1

Registered User.
Local time
Can I base main forms and subforms on two different queries?

max1

Registered User.
Local time
or maybe the main form based on a query and the subform based on a table?

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
In Access there are forms and subforms, which is a common way to represent one "parent" with many "child" records.
Yes, sorry if it wasn't clear, but I make the assumption that 'parent' and 'child' records are not in the same table.

max1

Registered User.
Local time
I am familiar with the concept of parent and child records, forms and sub forms based on different tables.

What I have been playing with is having a parent form from a query and the sub form from either a query or a table.

I have basically succeeded in what I want to achieve using forms and sub forms but the layout is not so good as I would like.

I am now considering populating a temporary table from a couple of different queries, basing the data entry form on the temporary table, then using a couple of different append queries to put data back into the permanent tables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom