employee's PC property (1 Viewer)

Marziya

Local time
Today, 20:20
How would this be maintained?
Why Access? Have you investigated any network scanning tool(s) that could do some of this automatically?
not automatically.
they just want to have a profile card for each employee.

Marziya

Local time
Yes that's correct.

So you have a table listing all Personnel and table listing all Types of Equipment.

Now you need a table to link Personnel to Equipment Details.

Something along the lines of:-

tblEquipmentDetails
-EquipmentDetailID PK - Autonumber Long Integer
-PersonnelID FK - Number - Long Interger (Linked to PersonnelID PK)
-EquipmentTypeID - Number - Long Integer (Linked to EquipmentTypeID PK)
-EquipmentSerialNo
-EquipmentMake
-EquipmentModel

This is just a rough guide
I don't want to have a form for entering the personnel.
I want to have a button name is " new profile card"
if I click on that T a form would be opened.
in this form I would enter
name of employee
the network IP
Admin Username
Admin Password
Local Username
Local Password
without having a combo box that select from that. I will filled these control by typing.
but for the equipment I want to enter the ID that I defined before.
also I want to be able , whenever I enter the ID , the access automatically understand the type of equipment.

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:50
I don't want to have a form for entering the personnel.
I want to have a button name is " new profile card"
if I click on that T a form would be opened.
in this form I would enter
name of employee
the network IP
Admin Username
Admin Password
Local Username
Local Password
without having a combo box that select from that. I will filled these control by typing.
but for the equipment I want to enter the ID that I defined before.
also I want to be able , whenever I enter the ID , the access automatically understand the type of equipment.
So How would you manage the process when an employee has to replace a specific piece of equipment?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:50
The U.S. Navy kept something similar but they didn't bother with some things that were beneath notice. For instance, we had a laptop with a Navy "property number" tag. There was a tagged docking station and a tagged monitor. But they didn't bother to track mouse and keyboard because neither of them had any "smarts" - just a USB mouse & keyboard. The mouse and keyboard were "automatic" with the laptop and were treated like staplers and tape dispensers - just another item to keep in the supplies locker.

They had a person table and a tagged item table. If an item was in the warehouse, it had a location code that said Warehouse but it had the owner code of the Navy. If it was checked out to a person, it had a location code that said the office area (open-plan office, so basically room number) and an owner code of the person responsible for it.

Under NO repeat NO circumstances would we have ever kept a password. We used the method that involved a one-way hash of the input password and we merely hashed the offered password to compare hashes. We also did not keep Admin usernames because for Windows that is a fixed string anyway. For security purposes, you never ever IN A GAZILLION YEARS keep a password.

Marziya

Local time
So How would you manage the process when an employee has to replace a specific piece of equipment?
here the equipment matters.
when an employee is changed, the profile of equipment should be edited.

Marziya

Local time
The U.S. Navy kept something similar but they didn't bother with some things that were beneath notice. For instance, we had a laptop with a Navy "property number" tag. There was a tagged docking station and a tagged monitor. But they didn't bother to track mouse and keyboard because neither of them had any "smarts" - just a USB mouse & keyboard. The mouse and keyboard were "automatic" with the laptop and were treated like staplers and tape dispensers - just another item to keep in the supplies locker.

They had a person table and a tagged item table. If an item was in the warehouse, it had a location code that said Warehouse but it had the owner code of the Navy. If it was checked out to a person, it had a location code that said the office area (open-plan office, so basically room number) and an owner code of the person responsible for it.

Under NO repeat NO circumstances would we have ever kept a password. We used the method that involved a one-way hash of the input password and we merely hashed the offered password to compare hashes. We also did not keep Admin usernames because for Windows that is a fixed string anyway. For security purposes, you never ever IN A GAZILLION YEARS keep a password.
thanks for your attention and suggestions.
there are similar mouses and keyboards , we mean by tagging mouse and keyboard, if one of them is lost or is damaged . we want to know, belong to who.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:50
@Marziya We are all volunteers here. We don't get paid to help you but you get paid for using our help. So, keep that in mind as you ask us to work for you for free.

As it happens, I have a partial solution that I was working on as a sample. I will clean it up a bit and post it. It will contain a properly normalized schema but you still might need other tables and you will certainly want to add additional fields to tables and then the queries and forms/reports that use them. This sample assigns components to CPU's and those are then assigned to individuals. That simplifies the connection process. Only the CPU or other property that you want to assign directly to the person would be assigned to the person. Everything else gets linked to the CPU.

If you cannot do this yourself even with our help and that's what it sounds like, maybe your company should hire someone to build this database for you. Just because you can spell Access doesn't mean that you have the skill set needed to actually build an application for others. I'm pretty busy this week so I'm not sure when I can finish the last couple of forms. I stopped working on this months ago when I got busy with other stuff so I have to get back into it and figure out what I left undone.

If I haven't posted it by Friday, PM me to get an ETA.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:50
I was closer to done than I thought. Here is the sample. It is not well tested and it is slightly different from what you were thinking. It is also far from done. you need to add a lot of stuff to it to make it actually usable. But, it is a start.

Attachments

• ComputerInventory_2023.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 90

Marziya

Local time
I was closer to done than I thought. Here is the sample. It is not well tested and it is slightly different from what you were thinking. It is also far from done. you need to add a lot of stuff to it to make it actually usable. But, it is a start.
thank you

Jason Lee Hayes

Local time
Today, 16:50
In our office, there are about 30 desktops connected to our local network and employees work with them.
the IT department wants to keep and save properties of each computer.
they want to know Who works with what computer with what properties quickly.
There are dedicated tools that can achieve what your IT department are trying to do! I query their competency if they are trying to achieve this using MS access even though it can be done..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom