Error returned (1 Viewer)

Sticky99

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:03
Can anybody point me in the right direction, I've build a basic database and sent it to a few users to test & for suggestion, the users are getting the following error when trying to access the "Search" option on the Switchboard. All users have runtime 2013. any help would stop me getting any more grey hair!

1677506391076.png

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 22:03
I get that all the time. Version is too old for the DB bring opened.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:03
The .accdb format can be read by all Access versions as far back as 2007. The problem you see is happening because you have at some point created an object or checked an option that is only available in newer versions of Access. NEVER play with a production database which is usually how this happens. You want to try a feature so you check the property that allows BIG int data types. Even if you uncheck it later, the "mark" is remembered.

If you know what option you tried and you need it, the users need to have their Runtime's updated to match yours. Otherwise, see if you can remove whatever you tried and then go through the decompile and C&R routine. If the db is still broken, create a new empty db and import all objects. Then set up the properties as you need with-ut the one that caused the problem.

Sticky99

Registered User.
Local time
The .accdb format can be read by all Access versions as far back as 2007. The problem you see is happening because you have at some point created an object or checked an option that is only available in newer versions of Access. NEVER play with a production database which is usually how this happens. You want to try a feature so you check the property that allows BIG int data types. Even if you uncheck it later, the "mark" is remembered.

If you know what option you tried and you need it, the users need to have their Runtime's updated to match yours. Otherwise, see if you can remove whatever you tried and then go through the decompile and C&R routine. If the db is still broken, create a new empty db and import all objects. Then set up the properties as you need with-ut the one that caused the problem.
Thanks for this advice, really appreciate it. I’ll try what you say.
again, thanks.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:03
Do you know what feature you tried but didn't use?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Almost certain that you have ticked one or both of the following checkboxes in Access options

1677540678248.png

Ticking either of those prevents users with older versions accessing your database as each changes the structure of the ACCDB file ...even if the feature isn't used
Unfortunately for you the change is one-way. Unticking doesn't change the structure back again.

So you will need to create a new blank ACCDB file ensuring the two checkboxes remain unticked, then import all objects to the new database

Sticky99

Registered User.
Local time
Almost certain that you have ticked one or both of the following checkboxes in Access options

View attachment 106692

Ticking either of those prevents users with older versions accessing your database as each changes the structure of the ACCDB file ...even if the feature isn't used
Unfortunately for you the change is one-way. Unticking doesn't change the structure back again.

So you will need to create a new blank ACCDB file ensuring the two checkboxes remain unticked, then import all objects to the new database
I've created a new database and all seems OK at the moment, fingers crossed. (y)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Did you look at the two checkboxes in your original file?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Interesting. Off the top of my head, the only other new feature I can think of are modern charts. But files containing those can be opened in earlier versions - however an empty space appears instead of the chart

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom