Fires in Oklahoma - Is MrsGorilla OK (1 Viewer)

fuzzygeek

Energy Ebbing
Local time
Today, 07:46
Haven't seen your posts, are you OK?

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
I hope so. Tulsa is in the danger zone, but pretty far away from where the worst of the fires have been, as far as I know. But it's been almost a week since she posted; it'd sure be nice to hear from her.

Andromeda

I'm happy you left me
Local time
Today, 14:46
could you post the thread? I am lost

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I'm sure Cindy will reappear, I expect she's having a longer new year break maybe.

We haven't had any of the fires story on the news in the UK, it seems pretty bad - is that normal in wintertime

Col

fuzzygeek

Energy Ebbing
Local time
Drought conditions have brush fires going in the eastern part of New Mexico and in Oklahoma. Normally fires are in the spring...but the drought is causing problems.

R

Rich

Drought down there, floods further up, trains delayed without any assistance available to passengers, what is going on over there ? :eek: :confused:

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:46
Mother Nature. Just when we (as in man) feels like we are in control, MN shows us who is really boss.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Yup, I'm OK. :) I've actually been busy at work the last couple of weeks, so not much time to post. How dare they make me work. :mad:

It's good to see that people care about me here. (I'm having a warm and fuzzy moment) :) I live in the center of town and so I'm not in TOO much danger from the brush fires but it is so dry here right now that anything can happen. The fires actually got within a couple of miles of my parents house though so we were concerned, but they have that one under control for the time being. Some kids in my sister-in-law's neighborhood were setting off fireworks for New Year's and started a grass fire that nearly reached a home before the fire department stamped it out, and that's how the conditions are right now until we get some rain. Someone tossing a cigarette out the window can spark a fire that could get out of control in a hurry. :(

fuzzygeek

Energy Ebbing
Local time
Glad to see yoru're ok!:)

MrsGorilla said
Yup, I'm OK. I've actually been busy at work the last couple of weeks, so not much time to post. How dare they make me work.

It's good to see that people care about me here. (I'm having a warm and fuzzy moment)

Yea for fuzzy moments!:cool: ;)

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
*Small sigh of relief* It's good to hear from you :)

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Kraj said:
*Small sigh of relief* It's good to hear from you :)

Thanks, I'm glad people were thinking of me here. :) Someone did throw a cig out of the window from the expressway about a mile from here and started a grassfire that has left a big scorched stretch along the side of the highway for about a quarter of a mile, but being in mid-town there isn't much brush laying about to contribute to the spread of fires. Was a bit concerned for my parents though, but as long as the winds don't pick up, they should be OK. I just wish we could get a big front through here that would push this dry weather out of here. It's a very stable weather pattern that seems intent on staying put. :(

fuzzygeek

Energy Ebbing
Local time
The weather pattern has caused the temperature here (New Mexico) to run 12 to 15 degrees(F) above normal, low humidity and dry. The mountains are hurting and I don't think the Sandia Ski Resort is even open. I wish the best for your parents.

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 02:46
MrsGorilla said:
Thanks, I'm glad people were thinking of me here. :) Someone did throw a cig out of the window from the expressway about a mile from here and started a grassfire that has left a big scorched stretch along the side of the highway for about a quarter of a mile, but being in mid-town there isn't much brush laying about to contribute to the spread of fires. Was a bit concerned for my parents though, but as long as the winds don't pick up, they should be OK. I just wish we could get a big front through here that would push this dry weather out of here. It's a very stable weather pattern that seems intent on staying put. :(

Do these fires tend to push the wildlife out into the more open areas?

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
MrsGorilla said:
I just wish we could get a big front through here that would push this dry weather out of here. It's a very stable weather pattern that seems intent on staying put. :(
In the meantime, how about an emergency law that declares anyone who disposes of a cigarette in the grass be put to death?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
But of course you've got to fave real fire power, silly me :rolleyes: ;)

Is the whole of the South at risk or just a small area of several hundred square miles?

Brian

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Kraj said:
In the meantime, how about an emergency law that declares anyone who disposes of a cigarette in the grass be put to death?

:D Seriously, they did a story on the news a couple of nights ago about the police and also the fire marshalls making traffic stops and writing tickets to people that they catch tossing cigarettes out the window.

Brianwarnock said:
Is the whole of the South at risk or just a small area of several hundred square miles?

It's been worst in Texas and Oklahoma because of the drought we've been facing for the past year. There is very little humidity in the air right now and everything is very dry. Our rainfall totals were somewhere between 12-22 inches below normal for last year depending on the area. So, it's been the driest year in Oklahoma since 1921, the "dust bowl" days. I'm not sure how other states are doing, although the further West you go I don't think it is as much of an issue because those states got plenty of rainfall from the hurricane season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom