Front End Back End (1 Viewer)

popeye

Work smarter, not harder.
Local time
Today, 08:38
As soon as I split my access database I start having problems.

I have ONLY the tables in the backend which sits on my server and the Front end i'd like to deploy to the user terminals

Problem:

I have several forms with subforms, but they seem to be having problems accessing the data cause there is either an error and im forced to debug or the forms open without the objects visible (so everything looks blank)

What i do know is that the simpler forms are working, the ones that read data directly to the tables but I cant figure out what's up with my other forms.

Again, everything works perfectly when the database is one whole file.

Please advise.

popeye

Local time
How i split the db.

I was having trouble with the database splitter wizard, it was saying that the database was too large, so i went ahead and created two new databases and used the table import feature to import all the tables for one (back end)

then in the other database file i imported all the modules, macros, queries and forms that i had.

Something strange happened though/

The original file was really large 170MB, but when i did the splitting, both the front end and the back end dont add up to as much as 6mb.

The funny thing is though that it looks like all the forms and tables are present along with m7y modules, nothing seems missing.

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Ok -
first
Take a copy of the d/base on a disc or somewhere safe.

now make a copy of the file
and empty the tables and split the d/base now import data
this might work
(make sure you import the data in the correct order ) so your primary tables first then your secondardy tables
compact and then see if thats worked
(Just my take on how to fix this )

g

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Did you make sure to link all of the tables from the back end into the front end using the Linked Table Manager? Your issues sound like it has to do with it not being able to find one, or more, tables.

popeye

Local time
FINALLY... DB complete, with network functionaliy

As it turns out my problem was resolved by retrying the database splitter tool.

Thing is, the machine i tried to split it on first didnt have that feature installed and when it asked for the MSOfficce CD i was too busy at the time to try and locate the CD so i went about it the lazy way...

So when i retried it just now on a different machine, it worked fine.

I have the db running on several machines as we speak.

Finally i have my first db up and running for a multinational company.

THanks to this site.

Almost everything in the database is something that i found on this forum as an example that someone posted, i asked tons of questions and made lots of dead end roads suddenly become highways of solutions.

My only disappointment is that i cant upload the entire thing for someone else to just download, tear apart and use to their advantage, but anyways, if a newbie like me can do the "copy and paste" coding, im sure anyone out there can.

The ppl on this forum are really resourceful THANK YOU ALL.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Glad to hear you got it all sorted and working for you. Thanks for posting back with your solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom