Function isn't available (1 Viewer)

rgreene

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:32
I'm having a problem getting a form to open. I'm using access 97 on on XP machine and whan I open my database I get Function isn't available in expressions in query expression '[Case Types]![theName]&"-"&Format([SourceDocs]![CaseNumber]&"","00")&"-"&Format([SourceDocs]![CaseYear]&"","00")'.

This database works fine on a Windows 2000 machine running Access 97 but none of the XP machines will open it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rick

R. Hicks

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:32
Make sure that you have installed all service pack updates for Access 97 and also the latest Jet 3 update on the machine give the problem ...

RDH

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:32
This could also be a references problem. Sometimes what happens is you have bad references but Access trips over something else first. The reason being that the "something else" uses some reference invisibly, so instead of calling out a missing function, it kvetches about something else.

For Ac97, go to a code page, then follow Tools >> References from your menu bar and look for something in the resulting dialog box that says "MISSING" - in all caps - in front of the name of a module.

rgreene

Registered User.
Local time
I did that and this is what I get

MISSING:Microsoft Word 8.0 Object Library
C:\Program Files\MSOffice\Office\MSWord8.OLB

I checked the path and that MSWord8 files isn't there on the XP bax but is there on the 2000 machine. Do I just copy it over (I get access denied when I try ot copy) or do I need to do something different?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:32
Usually a newer version will work just fine. Uncheck the Word 8.0 and scroll down the list to find a newer version and check that.

rgreene

Registered User.
Local time
I don't have Microsoft Word anything listed. The closest is a Microsoft Office 8.0 Object Library. I tried that and it appears to be working.

Thanks for all your help. I would really be lost if it wasn't for you guys!!!

Thanks again

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You must not actually need the word object library. You can just uncheck the office library. They are not interchangable.

Sometimes libraries get added because you try out something that needs it and when you delete the code or ActiveX, you forget to delete the library reference.

Piller187

Local time
Today, 06:32
Yes this is a very irritating thing with Access. Usually we get a function not defined on the Date() function, and the reference is always the issue. That one tripped me up for a long time. :(

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
There are several manifestations of the references error but the common one is a function - any function that no longer seems to work. Usually the function is one of the intrinsic functions such as Date() because those are the most frequently used functions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom