Genealogy anyone? (1 Viewer)

ledgerr.rob

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:00
Was wondering if anyone does any genealogy? I have been fiddling with it off and on for a year or so. I think it's fun, but never ending!! But the history behind it all is fascinating.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:00
My family has been into it and found some real surprises.

My paternal great grandfather, his wives and daughters travelled throughout the British Empire as entertainers. They were quite well known and we can now find newspaper articles about them in old newspapers that have been scanned and put online.

My grandfather had never told us anything about his parents and we never even suspected. The first hint was on his birth certificate where his mother was listed as Rose Brandram. He was born in South Africa.

Once the Internet became available we discovered that Rosina Brandram was the stage name of a famous singer of the day. It would appear that my great grandmother masqueraded as her when they performed in the colonies. Although her name was Rose, her surname was certainly not Brandram. Shows what used to pass as official identity records back then.

A big breakthogh came when we we contacted by other descendents whose ancestors had passed down the information.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
I have not really, but other members of my family (cousins on my father's side). I had already known some interesting facts. The first member of our family came from Ireland just before the Revolutionary War. We have a former governor of Indiana and a mathematician that created a series of math books for one room schools.

Libre

been around a little
Local time
I've studied some genealogy and my opinion is that Barbara Eden is at the very top of the list. :D

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:00
I have learned that I am a distant cousin (through marriage) to Samuel L Clemens (a.k.a. Mark Twain) and that I am part Cherokee Native American - but not enough to claim tribal membership. I'm too watered down.

I also learned that I had several ancestors in the USA Civil War, one of whom lost a hand due to the meat-grinder style of surgery they employed at the time.

After a thorough search, though, I cannot find any monkeys anywhere in the last several generations. Therefore, the person who called me a monkey's uncle must have been joking or something...

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 14:00
I've studied some genealogy and my opinion is that Barbara Eden is at the very top of the list. :D

I used to fancy her. I could never understand why Larry Hagman never got off with her. I bet he never even snogged her.

Col

Prayder

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:00
I have family members that are into Genealogy.. We have traced our roots back to the late 1500's here in America. We even have a copy of the manifest of the ship we came over on. We have one relative hung as a witch at the salem witch trials.... and we had one relative serve under General George Washington in the revolutionary war.

ledgerr.rob

Registered User.
Local time
having that copy of the manifest is really neat! I'm on the trail of a couple manifests myself as I have a few relatives that served as officers on both tall ships and steam ships that traveled around the world. Very cool

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 09:00
Where do you even start?

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 09:00
But eventually you hit a dead end where there's no one left to ask. lol I was just wondering if people had websites they've personally utilized. I've been curious about this myself.

daievans

Registered User.
Local time
The best place to start is with a subscription to Ancestry.com, or if you're a parsimonious sort, the LDS Church has a free site. There are several Genealogy programs out there that are very easy to use - I use the one that works with Ancestry.com but the name escapes me currently ...

I am proud to say that my ancestors were Welsh peasants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom