Getting old forget mdb password

FuzMic

DataBase Tinker
Local time
Today, 19:28
Hi peers

Really getting old, i have a number of msaccess mdb which need a password to view the modules but i forget the password.

How can i open it to view the modules or better still how to find the password in use. Help to get out this old man jam.

If you are using a VBA password, it is easy to bypass. I'm not going to explain how to do so but an online search will explain how its done.

As for the database password itself, that depends on the MDB file format. Very old versions included the password unencrypted in the file header. Later versions were a bit more secure though nothing like as secure as ACCDB encryption
You may be able to view the MDB file password using a text or hex editor

In case you are interested, see my series of articles:

Yes i knew protection is very limited, thus i just want to open it to work with it. What is the fastest way to find out what was the password i used.

The mdb files is from msacccess 2002 very old like me. Thank you for the indulgence to guese get it over.

you can also try using Passware Kit Forensic.

As it’s A2002 format MDB, you probably won’t be able to view the password using a hex editor.
As I mentioned, for VBA passwords there is a way of bypassing them. Google it!
For file passwords you can get various password cracking tools. These work by brute force attacks so unless the password is very weak, it could take several days to achieve success. There is no magic wand!

Blimey, about 10 quite valid links on my first Google. :-(

Just to explain to folks looking for how to crack passwords... we cannot safely explain how to do that because of liability reasons and negative repercussions that would fall upon Jon, our site owner. We tell you to look it up for yourself because if we got caught publishing a hacking method that actually could be used to break in to a commercial database, we would be named in a criminal or civil action as co-defendants.

Isladogs
Still lost because of progressing age. I tried google but end up nowhere.
I tried Hex Editor but as you say no way for Access2002

I tried an Excel vba code from the web that relates to Excel, not fruitful.

The password is only require for these front end mbd to open the vb codes of any module; forms can be opened without any password.

Please help help directtly, .. as my mind it really slow this time round.

Last edited:
Try looking on Youtube.
FWIW I found a good few links which looked promising on a simple Google search.

Last edited:
Isladogs
Still lost because of progressing age. I tried google but end up nowhere.
I tried Hex Editor but as you say no way for Access2002

I tried an Excel vba code from the web that relates to Excel, not fruitful.

The password is only require for these front end mbd to open the vb codes of any module; forms can be opened without any password.

Please help help directtly, .. as my mind it really slow this time round.

The idea of a password is to make it hard to crack.

It's a bit late now, but the best solution is not to have a password at all in your personal development environment, but add a password, if you must, to a published copy of the database. That way you always have the development copy you can use. I know this doesn't help you now, but it would prevent you having the same issue in the future.

I have just copied a mdb DB of mine.
Renamed it.
Set a password on it. (Had to Google how to do that, as I have never done so in the past). :)
I then Googled for a way to to find it out. One of the first links took me to a Youtube video and the very first program mentioned there was from a reputable website and that easily found out the password.

So I am not sure why you are finding it so difficult? :(
Plus I am 70 years of age. :)

Before I start let me say I'm not trying to be clever or get at FuzMic, but just commenting on the the vicissitudes of IT security.

I know the received knowledge advice is to never write down passwords, but you have to admit that it is virtually a necessity in this day and age (I counted mine and I have 214 passwords and 23 PINs!). And nobody will be able to look up on the internet how crack a securely stored list on paper.

The real advice to not write them down is aimed at people who do the equivalent of putting a post-it note on an office computer.

Personally my list is stored using an Access DB for CRUD, but the BE is on a removable Encrypted 256 Bit AES USB drive that is only mounted when it is needed! I do keep a printed copy of the database locked in my safe. (Especially the PW to the BE encryption!)

The one piece of advice I remember from a visit to GCHQ many years ago was that long passwords are easier to remember that short ones.
For example 'I keep my passwords in a 14 inch bucket' is somewhat easier to remember than 1KmF-Zy23

upload your db here and some wise guy will try to help you figure it out.

As I’ve already said, there is a method of bypassing a VBA password. Try doing a Google search for that

BTW Paul/Bob - you are both spring chickens😏

Ah I was thinking it was the dB password. :(
Regardless I found in YouTube also how to remove any password on the vba project.

Since we are talking age here, I'm no longer a spring chicken myself. This year I turned 76.

Hint: That's an old picture, and even in that one my hairline was receding. Now, like Elvis, it has pretty much left the building.

I am in the 80's thus age really shows up with neuropathy issues like balance in fact everything that has to do with whole bodily & nervous system such as handling a whole bunch of data.

Our brain is losing control as we reach the 90, 100 mark. The appearance of walking stick, walking frame are all the end signs. Mindfulness as in keeping calm is a elixir for old people. Peace.

First thing first what's the Google search string to get the the most relevant answers. Help!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom