Good Wired Keyboards for Productive Work? (1 Viewer)

Do you like wireless keyboards for regular use?

• I use one regularly and love it

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I use one regularly and it's okay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use one regularly and dislike it

• I use one regularly and can't stand it

• I don't use one regularly but would consider it

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I don't use one regularly but would if I had to

• I don't use one regularly and you'd have to shoot me to put one in my hands

• I don't use one regularly and even if you shot me, my hands would naturally reject the touch of one

• Total voters

JonXL

Local time
Today, 01:10
It seems the world's going to hell faster than I can leave it and the latest evil is the proliferation of wireless-only keyboard models.

I have a wireless keyboard for controlling the PC hooked to my entertainment TV. But I don't need that to be anything special since it's just for occasional typing. It's what I would expect out of a wireless model - low-quality, not very ergonomic or attractive. If I wanted a keyboard that met those higher standards, I would anticipate getting a wired model that doesn't require battery replacement, has no lag, and generally meets the requirements of a good electronic device that never in its life will be more than a couple feet from a power source. Until recently that used to be the reality of life. No more it seems.

Lately I've been looking for a replacement to the wired keyboard I use for work (this one: https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wired-Keyboard-600-Black/dp/B001OAR26K). It's an okay keyboard, but the letters have worn off and I have stickers to replace them. It's getting past its best-by date. Ultimately I want this one (https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Comfort-Curve-Keyboard-2000/dp/B0009ZBRS0), which I've had before and would still have absent some life situations. But world-going-to-hell-and-all it's no longer in production. I bought mine for probably $15-$20 and now I'd be paying close to $200 to scrape up one of the last ones out there...

I was in Best Buy a while ago and thought this looked okay (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logite...ar-battery-life-black/9928336.p?skuId=9928336) but it only comes in wireless. Ditto this one (https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-K350-2-4Ghz-Wireless-Keyboard/dp/B002MMY4WY). And pretty much any keyboard I look at that is reasonable in terms of key quietness, ergonomics and functionality (needs a calculator key and preferably NO power keys or power keys that are well out of the way of everything else) is wireless-only.

Does anyone know of any decent wired keyboards that might work for me? Would also take recommendations on reasonably-priced time machines.

Thanks!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 07:10
Actually the best keyboard I have ever used in my opinion was an old IBM keyboard. OK, very clicky, but very postive as well.
However I am more than happy with my Logitech K270 and M185 wireless keyboard and mouse, even when it is just sitting in front of my laptop.
I did get KBD and mouse in one package, which no longer seems available. :(

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I have also used the MS 600 wired keyboard for many years. Typically each lasts about 3-4 years of very intensive use.
I've just replaced the previous one having worn off the common letters from the keys.
The replacement cost £10 GBP. A bargain in my opinion

Mike Krailo

Local time
Today, 02:10
I was about to start a thread on keyboard preferences and noticed this one was already there so I'll bump this thread up. It's the old Keytronics KT800USB wired keyboards for me (Black). I just found one on E-bay and snapped it up. These things don't break or wear out from normal use. I have spilled coffee on them, taken them apart and cleaned them up and they just keep going for years. I love the feel and low typing error rate they give me. They don't make them anymore, so you have to find them used. My place of work has had them for many years and that's where I discovered how much I like them. I have yet to find a better keyboard anywhere.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I still have an old ps2 IBM keyboard. I loved the keypress action on that.

Oops, I see I said that in a previous post last year. :(

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I use a Logitech K780 keyboard and M720 mouse, both Bluetooth.

I can't stand wires in the way, and hate USB dongles, so Bluetooth with my laptop was the way to go.
They are excellent quality, the batteries last ages (literally at least 6-9 months). They are also multi-profile so I can use them with the laptop in the lounge and even my TV, just by pressing a button.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I currently use a Logitech K270 keyboard and M185 mouse, both wireless with a small USB dongle, as I use a laptop now, well for the most part.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
As a touch-typist who learned on an Underwood Manual in high school about, oh... 60 years ago, I really care more about the key layout (referring not to "QWERTY" but to key dimensions). However, I have used wireless keyboards and found that I didn't like them. Perhaps I got a bad brand or, more likely, I got a brand with some kind of size reduction that was subtle, because I was never comfortable on the two wireless keyboards that I used before I switched back to "tethered."

Mike Krailo

Local time
Today, 02:10
I use a Logitech K780 keyboard and M720 mouse, both Bluetooth.
Just one look at that keyboard and I know it would drive me crazy with those flat round keys, but glad you found one you like.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
They do bigger ones with more normal-sized keys, but I find it perfectly useable.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
With my short, fat little fingers, the guys at work were ALWAYS teasing me about needing a "crayola keyboard." The worst part is that I could not really dispute them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom