Hal 9000

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:48
Daisy Daisy, give me your answer do...

It takes me two attempts to get Alexa to respond sometimes. :(

I use Alexa as my alarm, and it quite often doesn't go off, which is a bit inconvenient. Apparently, Amazon are linking Alexa with Claude AI, but it is going to be a subscription model.

Get used to those subscription models. Now that the cat is out of the bag that such models actually work and can make money, you can bet your bottom dollar that Amazon will be digging deep into your pockets.

When I test any speech transcription services I usually say:- Mary had a little lamb it's fleece was white as snow.. and everywhere that Mary went the lamb was sure to go....

Our Access User Group meeting last night had a rather lively after-hours discussion of AI and the future of our profession (i.e. developers who code for a living). It won't make it into the video because we had stopped recording at that point.

Suffice it say there is a divergence of opinion regarding the usefulness and applicability of AI.

Suffice it say there is a divergence of opinion regarding the usefulness and applicability of AI.

Just to add a another voice to the clamor, I think that the current generation of AI - that merely is a statistical analysis of various inputs - is going to be a passing fad.

Natural intelligence is the small child pushed into playing soccer. S/he then, when on the field, chases the ball when the coach yells to do so, but sometimes chases the butterfly because there is more wonder it in than in a soccer ball.

Alexa is too 1984 for me. Amazon is untrustworthy and you cannot tell what they are doing with what they overhear. My experience was getting ads for toys the grandchildren got for Christmas. I dumped mine in the Good Will bin.

I have not been offered anything by them?, other than the weather for the week, and that is after I have asked for tonmorrow's weather.
Also I found out, it does not like me swearing at them, when they get it wrong or go deaf. :)
Google minis do not seem to care.

Technology can be a boon to humanity. Things like Alexia and other better AI's can do amazing things. But they are/will be used against us. I prefer to get the weather from my atomic clock than be constantly spied on.

They still have a way to go.
I just asked my living room alexa 'when is the next FORMULA 1 grand prix'
She came back with 'the next formula 1 grand pricks is...' :-)
I live in a place called Gorseinon, (gors I non) and one of them always says it with some sort of accent. Gorseinon is in Swansea and all the others say that when I ask about the weather. :)
One good thing about the alexa is that they talk to each other, so I might ask one to stop a reminder/alarm and they will respond, 'There are no whatever on this device, but there is a whatever on the named device. That is clever. Google minis do not do that.

They still have a way to go.
Why does this invasion of privacy for the sake of not getting out of your lounge chair terrify me but not you? Do you not see how Google and FB and the others and at some level X as well as the government also control the information you receive? Unless you are consciously aware of the media bias and actively take measures to counteract its effects, you end up thinking Trump is the evil orange man because they tell you that dozens of times every day. How can it not be true? For three years they told you daily that taking the COVID vaccine and every booster they offered was your only salvation and you were endangering grandma and selfish and evil if you didn't vax. We are only now getting actual facts that Google et al, actively hid from us all this time.

Our college students are now raving Nazis who support terrorists and want to destroy all Jews. How did this happen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom