Has anyone ever relocated?

lmnop7854 said:
Were there situations where you questioned whether you were doing the right thing? Or were they forced situations? And did you worry about surviving? How was San DIego and Monterey?

Lisa
Sorry, I hadn't checked this sooner.

The second move was to a high school teaching job - it turned out to be very difficult and bad. I left after one year - in fact, 9 out of 36 teachers resigned when I did. The next move was to cotnineu graduate studies in Math in another state. I accepted a teaching assistantship and was planning on going through MA and PhD. The University was really recruiting hard for professors. Then after two semesters, the state did not approve the PhD in math. So, I questioned whether I should have. After the third semester I decided to leave, moving to another state, living in our hometown in my grandparents' house.

I spent the next 5 months working any job to pay for food wondering what I would do, while also applying for Navy Flight School. I was accepted, and for the next ten years the Navy made decisions for us about where to live. The next hard decision came when I left the Navy and went to seminary (with wife and two teen aged boys). At the time it seemed right. Looking back now, I sometimes wonder whether I should have stayed in the Navy - I could have retired 13 years ago with more pay than I have every made, and then gone to seminary.

Now, I am too old to worry about decisions I made. At each point my wife and I made the best decision with available information. And from my perspective as a Christian, each move was right and good for us. Not easy, but right.
________
Buy glass pipes

Last edited:
shades said:
My wife and I have moved 27 times :eek: in 35 years - not running away, either! :D

To name a few: Minnesota (several places), Pensacola FL, Denver, San Diego, USS Oriskany (;) ), Monterey CA, Virginia Beach, VA, Quad Cities (IL), St. Louis, Nebraska, Missouri (several places)....

Not necessarily in that order.:)

We seemed to have survived: two children, four grandchildren... and still a few years from true retirement.

Holy crap that's a lot. Sounds like you were in a really bad witness relocation program.

Well, in case anyone was wondering, I am not moving to San Francisco. I cut it off at the point where they wanted to fly me out, because I didn't want them wasting their money if I had already decided that I wasn't going. My dad is deteriorating, but not at the level that I was originally told a few weeks ago, but still, it will be better for me to be here while he is still around, and to make sure he sees the baby as often as possible. There will be other opportunities, when I am more free to move.

But thank you all for your helpful information - I will hopefully need it at some point!!

Lisa

I hate to hear that about your father. I will keep him and all y'all in my prayers.

lmnop7854 said:
Thanks - it is not a nice disease. He just wastes away, and there was no warning, so it wasn't like he could do things that he never did before, and make up for any lost time. He just started losing his motor skills. Right now, he is in a wheelchair full-time, and he now can't lift his arms long enough to even hold the cell phone for long. He won't be able to hold the baby unless we prop her up on him. And I am not looking forward to what is coming.

Lisa

Lisa:

I fully sympathize with you. My father is wasting away with Parkinson's Disease. Everytime I go visit him, he is worse. Sometimes he knows who I am and sometimes he doesn't. He is still pretty mobile, but it is a shuffle, not a walk. Really depressing to watch.. :(

Friday said:
Lisa:

I fully sympathize with you. My father is wasting away with Parkinson's Disease. Everytime I go visit him, he is worse. Sometimes he knows who I am and sometimes he doesn't. He is still pretty mobile, but it is a shuffle, not a walk. Really depressing to watch.. :(

Yeah - we had Easter dinner at my parents yesterday and it was very hard for me to watch him eat. His hands aren't working very well anymore, although he can still feed himself, but it won't be long before that freedom will be taken away. I just can't stand it.

Lisa

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom