Has NASA found (potentially) extraterrestrial life? (1 Viewer)

Adam Caramon

Local time
Today, 15:14
The only reason you can't do it is because of lack of belief in yourself.

If you were to burn your bridges and have "faith" you would get there.

Do you actually believe the things that you say? I love writing, but I'm not a professional author, so your advice would be for me to quit my day job and try to make a living as an author? And you think it is a lack of faith that makes people fail? I don't even know where to begin.

If you burn your bridges then two things will happen. One is you will get there and the other is you will become a believer in some type of telepathy, which of often manifests as a helping hand.

You need to get your dosage adjusted.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:14
Whatever the mind can conceive and believe it can achieve.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 20:14
If you burn your bridges then two things will happen. One is you will get there and the other is you will become a believer in some type of telepathy, which of often manifests as a helping hand.
I do wish you would look up "Telepathy" in a good dictionary and realise that what you call telepathy is something different.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
I do wish you would look up "Telepathy" in a good dictionary and realise that what you call telepathy is something different.

I said from the outset it was not telepathy in the common meaning of the word. However, what would you call it. What you quoted from me has "some type of telepathy"

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
Some old mechanical clocks had a spring which was wound in a spiral. The spring’s energy was stored by a person winding the spring in such a way as to decrease its diameter. As the clock’s escapement mechanism ‘ticked’ at some regular interval, it would release some of the spring’s energy. That energy was used to maintain the escapement mechanism’s momentum. After some period of time the spring would expand to a diameter whereby it would need a person to input more energy.

After many years small particles of corrosion may appear on the surface of the spring. If a person wound the spring too much the adjacent layers of the spring may touch. The particles of corrosion may cause the layers of the spring to bind and hence prevent the spring from expanding. With no expansion of the spring no energy is released and the clock stops.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Anecdotal evidence of those who throw caution to the wind and succeed in their new ideal vocation are quite common. They write books promoting the success of "Positive Thinking".

On the other hand those who took exactly the same action but found themselves destitute are not offerred the opportunities to write books such as "The Disaster of Unbridled Optimism".

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Anecdotal evidence of those who throw caution to the wind and succeed in their new ideal vocation are quite common. They write books promoting the success of "Positive Thinking".

On the other hand those who took exactly the same action but found themselves destitute are not offerred the opportunities to write books such as "The Disaster of Unbridled Optimism".

The key basic requirment that must exist is "belief, genuine belief". Positive thinking is not worth shit without belief. In fact true positive thinking is simply an outcome of belief. The reason "belief" is the key is because without you don't carry out the activities required. The salesman that has a powerful belief in the product tends to canvass lots of people.

Optimism with out belief is just as useless as positive thinking without belief.

This is where belief is the key. The reality is the person who does not have the genuine belielf they can do it or achieve the objective does not take the same actions as the person with the powerful belief.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
And one can easily tell which people have genuine belief by the outcome.
Those who failed obviously didn't really belive.

Sounds like a circular justification.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
And one can easily tell which people have genuine belief by the outcome.
Those who failed obviously didn't really belive.

Sounds like a circular justification.

Nothing circular, just a fact.

Without the belief the necessary activity does not occur or at least occur at the required level.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
I said from the outset it was not telepathy in the common meaning of the word. However, what would you call it. What you quoted from me has "some type of telepathy"
It makes no more sense to call it "some type of telepathy" than to call it "some type of swimming". Using a word in a non standard sense just gives the impression that you don't know what you are talking about.

Adam Caramon

Local time

Exactly. And I'd be willing to bet that the odds are stacked heavily against those who throw caution to the wind and chance it, as it were.

Mike375 said:
The key basic requirment that must exist is "belief, genuine belief". Positive thinking is not worth shit without belief. In fact true positive thinking is simply an outcome of belief. The reason "belief" is the key is because without you don't carry out the activities required. The salesman that has a powerful belief in the product tends to canvass lots of people.

Even if you have a great product that you really believe in, people cannot buy it if they do not have any money. No matter how many times you call people, money won't suddenly fall into their lap and allow them to purchase your product.

Mike375 said:
Nothing circular, just a fact.

Galaxiom's example was a picture perfect example of circular reasoning, you're just failing to see it.

You're taking your life experiences, thinking something magical happened, and then trying to fit that magic into a logical explanation. Maybe those times you failed or didn't succeed at the level your telepathy says you should, your mind simply blocked as a means of protecting your ego?

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
It makes no more sense to call it "some type of telepathy" than to call it "some type of swimming". Using a word in a non standard sense just gives the impression that you don't know what you are talking about.

Again, what would you call it.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Even if you have a great product that you really believe in, people cannot buy it if they do not have any money. No matter how many times you call people, money won't suddenly fall into their lap and allow them to purchase your product.

You don't call the same person lots of times but rather lots of different people are called.

Galaxiom's example was a picture perfect example of circular reasoning, you're just failing to see it.

You're taking your life experiences, thinking something magical happened, and then trying to fit that magic into a logical explanation. Maybe those times you failed or didn't succeed at the level your telepathy says you should, your mind simply blocked as a means of protecting your ego?

Galaxiom's example is not true because he did not understand the belief. If he had of understood what is was about then he would not have had "positive thinking" as a key.

Also, I never said anything about telepathy being part of the secret to success in what we are talking about.

If you want to become a writer then the following

1) 100% belief you can do it. Sometimes (in fact very often) the belief comes or is strengthened as you gather information. For example, it is very unlikley at the moment that you could genuinely believe you could leave your job and within one month have doubled your income by doing Access from home and for less hours than you currently work. However, someone like me might pass of information/methods and you then see things differently.

2) Burning desire......and that is totally different to "wanting". You might wan't to earn 1 million dollars a year but your burning desire might be just above survival money and the latter will determine your activity.

The combination of those two points tends to produce very high activity, talking to lots of people etc and invariably you see other doors open along the way.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
This is where belief is the key. The reality is the person who does not have the genuine belielf they can do it or achieve the objective does not take the same actions as the person with the powerful belief.

So when one hundred people all decide they are going to be the top sportsperson in their game this year, only one of them has genuine belief?

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
So when one hundred people all decide they are going to be the top sportsperson in their game this year, only one of them has genuine belief?

If you are genuinely interested in taking this further I am happy do that. Normally I am doing this for money.

But I will tell you the answer to your post is very simple, that is, it is not a "can God make a rock so heavy he can't lift it"

But consider for a moment that you want to be a theoretical physicist as a way to make your living and Adam wants to be a writer. Maybe its just possible the keys that open those doors are there for the taking.

SpentGeezer

Pure Noobism
Local time
Re: Has NASA found (potentially) extraterrestrial life? --> who cares..., of course there is ET Life. To think that Earth is the only life sustaining rock in the goddamn universe is ridiculous. I say spend the Trillions of wasted dollars on cleaning up our grubby rock.

Also burning desire and 100% belief will not turn average Joe into a successful writer. You cannot create creativeness, some people have it, some don't.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Also burning desire and 100% belief will not turn average Joe into a successful writer. You cannot create creativeness, some people have it, some don't.

That is true. However, Adam said he can write. But secondly, what invariably happens when activity is driven by genuine powerful belief and burning desire is doors open all over the place. For example Adam might find publishing is where it is all at, who knows.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Again, what would you call it.
Positive self-belief? That's what the core of your idea seems to be.

Both Gillette and henry Ford failed with their first attempts to launch their products but then were successful in their later attempts. I believe that we humans do have great potential and that we can unlock it with the right mental attitude. Nothing to do with "telepathy" or religion - just simple human ability

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Positive self-belief? That's what the core of your idea seems to be.

Both Gillette and henry Ford failed with their first attempts to launch their products but then were successful in their later attempts. I believe that we humans do have great potential and that we can unlock it with the right mental attitude. Nothing to do with "telepathy" or religion - just simple human ability

No. I said what was telepathy like is the person who suddenly lends a helping hand. Remember, some time back on the thread.

The powerful belief and burning desire are simply producers of very high activity. Although something else is also at play which I mentioned earlier. That "something" just seems to get results above and beyond what should be expected and occurs when dealing with people. The person seems to radiate something off themselves. There are two sayings that come to mind.... the world moves to one side for the man who knows what he wants and.....the harder I work the luckier I get......

I have always been fascinated by the "luck" that comes with extreme activity. I think I mentioned earlier that if the salesman has a number of appointments each week where he is so pushed for time he is eating in the car while driving, just no time, then his closing ratios are better than if he only goes to a few appointments per week. But you would think his selling ratios would be better when just doing a few appointments per week as he has much more time per interview and follow up and not so tired.

I think part of the answer is because the salesman that is going to appointments as if he is possessed has in fact taken on the big task and he carries himself a certain way. What doesn't work is jamming 6 appointments in one day and taking the rest of the week off as compared to just doing one appointment per day.

The other big factor with belief is that is so strong that you can clearly visualise the end result, not even open to question. If that belief is not there then activity is postponed.

Adam Caramon

Local time
But consider for a moment that you want to be a theoretical physicist as a way to make your living and Adam wants to be a writer. Maybe its just possible the keys that open those doors are there for the taking.

Sure, it is possible that I could make a living as a writer, but it is not probable. The smart thing to do is to keep my day job and pursue writing as a hobby. If I keep refining my works and eventually get lucky enough that a publisher wants to go with one of them (and I made enough money to support myself), then I could quit my day job.

Suggesting that I (or anyone) should put all their eggs into one basket is very irresponsible. For some people with the right mix of persistance, creativity, and luck, everything with work out. But those people are in the vast minority.

SpentGeezer said:

And just being creative is not enough to be able to make a living as a writer.

Mike375 said:
That is true. However, Adam said he can write. But secondly, what invariably happens when activity is driven by genuine powerful belief and burning desire is doors open all over the place. For example Adam might find publishing is where it is all at, who knows.

Yes, I can write. I've been involved in several writing communites, I've edited a lot of amateur works, I've edited 2 self-published works through a joint venture between myself and that particular author.

Your entire thoughts come down to "if you try hard enough, you can succeed at anything." That's the kind of thing parents tell their kids as they're growing up. That's not reality for the overwhelming majority of people. Just trying hard enough won't be enough to be a professional actor, a professional sports athlete, a professional singer, or a professional writer.

Encouragement to follow one's dreams is all well and good. People should strive to do what they want to do. But implying that the people who fail simply didn't believe enough in themself is hogwash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom