Has the recession effected you yet? (2 Viewers)

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:36
Don't you learn to kill people? Col
They practice on squealing pigs first, ideal for Afghanistan except that pigs can't shoot back

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
They practice on squealing pigs first, ideal for Afghanistan except that pigs can't shoot back

Neither can the innocent civilians the Americans wipe out. Obviously that doesn't get reported on US TV.

Col

Local time
Yesterday, 22:36

Yeah, and the nice thing about pigs is that they don't die quickly so you can practice on them longer.

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:36
So the US army is more of a university placement then?

I can take online classes, or wait until after my service is over and take advantage of the GI bill, which provides free education.

How can you do all that in Afghanistan?

Don't you learn to kill people? (you know, either civilians or allies) Or is that assumed it's already known being American.

Col[/QUOTE]

I am not going in as infantry. I am in communications. They will teach me how to fix and maintain computers so that the army can communicate effectively. I will be going to basic training, but my purpose will not be to kill.

And there is no assumption as to my ability to kill people, besides for my affinity for video games. Besides, haven't you already seen Rules of Engagement? Firing on civilians is worthy of a court martial. Although, when the 'enemy' doesn't wear a uniform, I would imagine it is hard to tell who is a civilian, and who is carrying explosives under their clothing.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I am not going in as infantry. I am in communications. They will teach me how to fix and maintain computers so that the army can communicate effectively. I will be going to basic training, but my purpose will not be to kill.

Sounds like an easy option. Still, if you haven't had much education in the normal way, then I suppose it is a way of getting further education. You'll get a nice tan too.

And there is no assumption as to my ability to kill people, besides for my affinity for video games. Besides, haven't you already seen Rules of Engagement? Firing on civilians is worthy of a court martial. Although, when the 'enemy' doesn't wear a uniform, I would imagine it is hard to tell who is a civilian, and who is carrying explosives under their clothing.

So the old "wild west" method of shoot first and ask questions later still applies judging by the high numbers of civilians the American army kill. You can escape the court martial by saying "he/she looked at me in a funny way".

Col

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Yesterday, 20:36
We were wondering whether to reduce the hours of our cleaner. But she has 3 chavvies and needs the dosh, so we're a bit reluctant.

We may make savings by not having the car cleaned so often, it costs £12 a go. Or maybe reduce the gardener's hours. It's hard to decide.

We used to have a Philipino cleaner, she was good, but got herself preggers so we gave her the bullet. The one we have now is not having any more chavvies as she has had a hysterectomy, so we're safe there.

Col

I can just imagine the squalor you would find yourself in were you reduced to having to do that. So I'd keep them on if at all possible - it would be harder to find and pay for someone to help rectify the living conditions as someone who had let themselves go completely I would imagine.

Hope that helps.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I can just imagine the squalor you would find yourself in were you reduced to having to do that. So I'd keep them on if at all possible - it would be harder to find and pay for someone to help rectify the living conditions as someone who had let themselves go completely I would imagine.

Hope that helps.

Yes, we decided to keep things as they are. We're used to having it all done, and it helps them pay their way, especially at christmas.

We'll probobly cut back by getting a cheaper wine or limiting the frequency of a steak meal. Maybe cut down on eating out, or (heaven forbid) have less holidays - we only managed to get away 3 times this year.

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Maybe cut down on eating out, or (heaven forbid) have less holidays - we only managed to get away 3 times this year.

Col

Whoa there Col ! only getting away from Essex 3 times and your thinking of cutting down, that's a nightmare scenario.

Brian

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Whoa there Col ! only getting away from Essex 3 times and your thinking of cutting down, that's a nightmare scenario.

Brian

Its not good is it, but its worth remembering however bad it gets Col - there is always someone worse off than you.
I know at times thats hard to believe, but keep that thought and it will help you through. Things will get better and you'll be able to hold your head up high again.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time

Brian

Three times of what I call proper holidays - i.e. > a week away abroad somewhere. That's not counting the several weekends away we have dotted throughout the year. The snag is, we always use 4 star hotels and they seem to be getting more and more pricey these days.

The last time we were in Bristol in October for a long weekend, we had dinner in the hotel and it came out at around £80 - we could cut to a cheaper wine I suppose. . . . . .. but then again one doesn't want to lower ones standards, it's so difficult. People tend to stare if you dress for dinner, then go to a Pizza Hut.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Its not good is it, but its worth remembering however bad it gets Col - there is always someone worse off than you.

Oh I know, we could live in the North. God, that must be awful.

I heard the people of Darfur and Ethiopia were holding a rock concert to help the people in the North of England.

Col

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
The last time we were in Bristol in October for a long weekend, we had dinner in the hotel and it came out at around £80 - we could cut to a cheaper wine I suppose. . . . . .. but then again one doesn't want to lower ones standards, it's so difficult. People tend to stare if you dress for dinner, then go to a Pizza Hut.

Col

Personnally I wouldn't choose to eat in a Premier Inn or such like, so although 80 quid is a good price for a someone watching the pennies, and having to think about cutting basics. I believe you could get a better meal if you shopped around a bit.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Oh I know, we could live in the North. God, that must be awful.

I heard the people of Darfur and Ethiopia were holding a rock concert to help the people in the North of England.

Col

It would be awful if you lived in the North.

Thankfully you dont.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
It would be awful if you lived in the North.

Thankfully you dont.

I can't really imagine it. I'd have to learn a whole new language.

Personnally I wouldn't choose to eat in a Premier Inn or such like, so although 80 quid is a good price for a someone watching the pennies, and having to think about cutting basics. I believe you could get a better meal if you shopped around a bit.

We have certain standards - we couldn't eat where common people eat. Imagine how awful it would be if you had a table next to a family with horrible screaming kids - no thank you. I'll stick to the 80 quid meal, the hotel was nice though - that usually costs us around £150 per night - that's for the room, not each.

Col

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
I can't really imagine it. I'd have to learn a whole new language.

We have certain standards - we couldn't eat where common people eat. Imagine how awful it would be if you had a table next to a family with horrible screaming kids - no thank you. I'll stick to the 80 quid meal, the hotel was nice though - that usually costs us around £150 per night - that's for the room, not each.

Col

Not eating out in Essex often then?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Not eating out in Essex often then?

No, I tend to eat out in Sussex or Kent and sometimes in London. The sad thing about London though is there are too many foreigners and too many northerners there now.

Col

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
No, I tend to eat out in Sussex or Kent and sometimes in London. The sad thing about London though is there are too many foreigners and too many northerners there now.

Col

Its a shame your poor financial situation means you have to live in a place you feel uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom