Has the recession effected you yet? (1 Viewer)

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:23
Lucky for you bastards we didn’t let them override Europe during the cold war.
Us bastards fought off communist uprisings in little countries called Greece and Malaysia without the mighty US and without bombing the crap out of either, do remind of us of how you faired without us in Nam.?:rolleyes:

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Yesterday, 19:23
Us bastards fought off communist uprisings in little countries called Greece and Malaysia without the mighty US and without bombing the crap out of either, do remind of us of how you faired without us in Nam.?:rolleyes:

You were smart to stay out of Nam. No one could win there. Funny, they're turning capitalist again after all these decades.

What a big waste it always is.

I hate war.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time

As old I I am I would go fight for Britain as fast as I would for the US.

Ours is one of the oldest relationships in the world.

Last edited:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Its a shame your poor financial situation means you have to live in a place you feel uncomfortable.

We had some snow this week and our cleaner couldn't come round. How awful is that?
I suggested she come round on thursday or friday but selfishly she's spending time with her family:rolleyes:

Still, on the brighter side, our cook has everything ready for our christmas dinner so at least that should be ok.

Col

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
With Col's posts you have to pick and choose which comments to reply to. Unless of course you feel like arguing. There were a few things said that I politely declined to comment on.

If you're saying it makes me look stupid to argue with him; your probably right.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
If you're saying it makes me look stupid to argue with him; your probably right.

Josephine, sometimes your comments are reasonably lucid. I enjoy reading them, they give me a laugh.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I have a marine friend with a double purple heart.

Well if I was in the US military and I didn't get one I would feel most upset, they must be the most popular badge awarded in the US.

On the brighter side though, with all the people losing limbs and arms and stuff, the paralympic teams in the UK or the US won't be short or prospective candidates.

(BTW, that's not my comment, it was made on a UK TV programme called "Mock The Week" by one of the satirists)

Col

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Well if I was in the US military and I didn't get one I would feel most upset, they must be the most popular badge awarded in the US.

On the brighter side though, with all the people losing limbs and arms and stuff, the paralympic teams in the UK or the US won't be short or prospective candidates.

(BTW, that's not my comment, it was made on a UK TV programme called "Mock The Week" by one of the satirists)

Col

Thank you Col,

I am a little sensitive to the whole entire war bullshit. I don't have any friends, or know any single American, that is rah-rah about the wars in the Middle East. And most of us accept that we are on our own because Bush was so bad at building a coalition with our Allies.

The entire world should have galvanized after 911. Hopefully Obama will prove to be a better relationship builder.

I have 3 nephews in the military right now, how exited do you think I am?

Last edited:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Why are you still around Colin? Why don't you simply disappear? My goodness...

If you don't like it - why don't you just bugger off and stop moaning.

As it says in Desiderata - I have a right to be here.

Col

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
I guessed that. Never mind, there are others here, like from Oregon, and they haven't any friends either.

Col
Damn Col, you're starting to act like a repuiblican.

Last edited:

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Yesterday, 16:23
If you don't like it - why don't you just bugger off and stop moaning.

As it says in Desiderata - I have a right to be here.

Col

Maybe he thinks your and loud and aggressive person - who is vexatious to the spirit?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
You were smart to stay out of Nam. No one could win there. Funny, they're turning capitalist again after all these decades.

What a big waste it always is.

I hate war.

Wasn't it Ambrose Bierce (sp) who said "War is God's way of teaching americans geography"

But the real problem is that Politicians are Lawyers or Social workers, never historians.

Brian

ASherbuck

Registered User.
Local time
Is that good?

Col

If you feel warm and safe inside the pocket of big business, hate homosexuals (bonus points for hating them while being in the closet yourself) and you believe that science is just a theory made up of fancy words to confuse you because you know that your car runs on God's divine will and the blood of Christ instead of gasoline then yes it's a great thing . . .

But those of us who have thoughts tend to lay somewhere in the middle to left side of the spectrum.

ASherbuck

Registered User.
Local time
I have been unemployed for 2 months now, and I am enlisting in the Army. I am getting an $8000 signing bonus, salary for 3 years, technical training in the IT field, can finish my accounting degree for free. I hope this goes well! I am excited, but nervous at the same time. My g/f isn't too fond of the idea.

That $8,000 will immediately be taxed and you'll receive about half of it when it all pans out. The remainder will be chopped up into tiny payments that will be dished out with every pay you receive (should be around $42.00 extra in every pay), of course there is a chance you get half up front and then the rest is chopped up in your pay.

The 3 year salary is pretty beat, as an officer you start at $41,000 enlisted it's closer to $18,000 - good luck with that. If you get married it will bump up to about $30,000 when you include Base allowance for housing.

You're GI Bill will be decent, the new one is amazing but you have to deploy to get it. Don't count on being able to finish that accounting degree while your in the Army - I don't care what your recruiter told you. I hope your credits don't go stale in the meantime but I don't see any major accounting leaps and bounds being made anytime soon.

Realize that depending on your MOS (I was marine I have no idea what the Army calls their jobs - ADT?) you could be extremely deployable. I know recruiters that love to talk up communications as a great way to avoid getting shot at and have buddies who ended up finding out they were attached to an infantry unit, expected to perform the duties of a grunt on top of carrying a heavy ass radio.

And your IT field technical training, 95% of the time will not translate into the private sector at all. I have friends in the Marine Air Wing - their training is all but worthless as you can't find many commercial Fighter Jets or Cobra Helicopters. Same applies to other technical fields, especially since most technical work is outsourced anymore.

Case in Point: Just wait til you see the civilians who guard the gate - Fat Bodies who wouldn't make it with the Air Force physical reqs guarding Soldiers and Marines. Doesn't make much sense does it?

But good luck to you, hope you enjoy your time!

EDIT* And let's not forget that if you were to apply just half that effort towards something in the private sector how far it would take you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom