Help with objects and classes (1 Viewer)

gerrythefish

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:41
Anyone have a good reference for using objects and classes in Access.

I have searched here many times.

I get the basics of OOP, but any of the VB books I've found always disconnect the data, so you have to deal with managing updates by multiple users. I want to leverage access to manage the data, and use objects to manage events, if that makes any sense.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Can you say more about what you are trying to do? One problem with DAO is that if your classes contain recordsets, you very quickly run into a "too many open databases" error, since it is impossible to disconnect a DAO.Recordset. I use data classes fairly extensively and I use a disconnected ADODB recordset to manage data access, and have not had any problem with this approach in a multiple user environment.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
This book is probably THE oop reference . . . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_Patterns

In VBA there are not a lot of references available because it's not possible to completely implement OOP principles, like, there is no inheritance, which is a big limitation. So people don't write much about how to use VBA's OOP capabilities. So I would do research and learning in other languages, and then bring those principles back to VBA.

Feel free to post here too if you have specific questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom