Question How can I maintain different version of database? (1 Viewer)

Bob

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:53
Hi. I am up to version 4.0 in a database to one of my clients. The database is used at different locations and all work independantly from one another. Now, one of the sites want some special work done (additions) to the database.

I want to be able to maintain the "core" database and add features for this particular site. Not all sites should have the "extended" version.

Has anyone experience with this on how to maintain this best?

Thanks

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
i would be careful about this

once you go this way, then adding extra features becomes twice the work in future, as you have to add them to both.

are you supplying an mde, or some protected code. if so, its easiy to set a flag to turn on/off the new feartures. that's the way to go really.

Local time
Today, 16:53
That's what I've always done. I run conditional code that only I know how to "enable". Enable it for the site that wants the new code and disable it for all others.

Bob

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Gemma and George

I am aware to be careful about this one, hence the question on the board. One does not want to do dublicate work!

With regards to mde/password protection I hard a struggle with the client :mad:. I didn't want to my code to be "open source" but the client didn't want to be dependant on me only. We found a solution but nothing is password protected (except the backend database). MDB is supplied.

George, will you give me a hint to how you have done it in the past?

Thanks.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
i dont think securing the backend matters much personally - its the code that is important - and if yuor client has the full code, then what is the problem with just adding the new functionality to V4.1

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom