How many genders are there? How many should there be? (2 Viewers)

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Today, 11:01
I suspect there are genuine females trapped in a male body, and of course the reverse... But I am equally sure the majority would benefit from counseling
On point on the need for counseling.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:01
The unfortunate point is that so often, it is others who have the need for counseling because they can't accept that someone was "born that way."

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time

How many genders are there? How many should there be?​

As many as you like, gender identity has little to do with anything it's a personal/mental identity, not necessarily a sexual identity.

If the question was: How many sexes are there? How many should there be?
I would lean towards binary. Two sexes male or female encoded at birth for life and are not changeable through surgery or counseling.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:01
I'm going to choose one of these pronouns, but nobody will be able to pronounce them!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time

How many genders are there? How many should there be?​

As many as you like, gender identity has little to do with anything it's a personal/mental identity, not necessarily a sexual identity.

If the question was: How many sexes are there? How many should there be?
I would lean towards binary. Two sexes male or female encoded at birth for life and are not changeable through surgery or counseling.
Since there are recorded cases of intersex births including hermaphrodites, maybe three sexes.

Agree that counseling won't change what you are, but because the brain is the most powerful sex organ, and considering my earlier post about brain structure as it relates to gender identify, counseling might help you DETERMINE what you are, which might not be what you first thought.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
What will matter is that parents - of ANY race, creed, color, ethnicity, or gender mix - will support and love and cherish and nurture their child.

Well said. I've long believed that the "ideal" was kids being raised by their father and mother. I was just visiting one of my daughters, and saw what is probably stereotypical behavior. She's a little over protective, her husband a little cavalier ("sure, let him run around the pool. When he cracks his head open he'll learn not to do that again!"). Between them the kids get both perspectives, learn a balanced view, etc.

That said, there are plenty of lousy fathers and mothers out there. What's important is that whoever is raising the kids have the properties you describe. I'll add single parents to "ANY race, creed, color, ethnicity, or gender mix". There are many out-of-control kids raised by single moms and we blame the lack of a father around, but there more single mothers out there of every race, creed, and color raising great kids.

conception_native_0123

Local time
Well said. I've long believed that the "ideal" was kids being raised by their father and mother. I was just visiting one of my daughters, and saw what is probably stereotypical behavior. She's a little over protective, her husband a little cavalier ("sure, let him run around the pool. When he cracks his head open he'll learn not to do that again!"). Between them the kids get both perspectives, learn a balanced view, etc.

That said, there are plenty of lousy fathers and mothers out there. What's important is that whoever is raising the kids have the properties you describe. I'll add single parents to "ANY race, creed, color, ethnicity, or gender mix". There are many out-of-control kids raised by single moms and we blame the lack of a father around, but there more single mothers out there of every race, creed, and color raising great kids.
Speaking of that, I met a great single mother just last year who had a fantastic daughter of 13 years old. And she was in love with Justin Bieber lol

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:01
There are swimming pools, gyms and spa's in the UK where the changing rooms and showers are unisex for anybody, they can be fun.
Col
Mixed nakedness is normal in saunas in Germany. People don't parade themselves but neither are they self conscious about being naked.

I was a hippie in the early 1980s. Being comfortable with nudity in mixed company was liberating. It isn't erotic.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Mixed nakedness is normal in saunas in Germany. People don't parade themselves but neither are they self conscious about being naked.

I was a hippie in the early 1980s. Being comfortable with nudity in mixed company was liberating. It isn't erotic.
Living in Southern California we get our share of "Euro Snow Birds" as we call them. You're right "it isn't erotic" old folks in speedos and topless is never good :D

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
That "confused" kid will be no more confused than the kids who were imprisoned and tortured by heterosexual parents (see recent headline about a 6-year-old girl abducted by non-custodial parents). They will be no more confused than the kids who were raised by religiously and sexually repressive parents. They will be no more confused than the kids who were raised by parents of mixed ethnicity. LIFE is confusing when you are a kid. The way adults act often makes no sense.

What will matter is that parents - of ANY race, creed, color, ethnicity, or gender mix - will support and love and cherish and nurture their child. What will matter is that the child has the feeling of trust and safety with respect to parents. Without caring parents, children are at the mercy of a crazy society of school boards who refuse to stand up to idiot parents. They are at the mercy of radicalized children whose anger was never detected and blunted. They are at the mercy of thugs whose parents sue if their bully child is punished in any way.
I'm sorry, your justification for it is "well, some parents torture their kids" ?
Doc I know you, even though I'm sure we'll disagree on this issue, you can do a lot better than that.
Nuclear family privilege, an emotional and spiritual grounding that is undeniable.
With obvious exceptions, like being tortured.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@Isaac, My justification is that when parents treat kids with love, respect, and caring, ... they do better. If you have a deep-seeted anathema regarding suitability of gay parents, that is your bad, not mine. I didn't say that parental torture is that common - but it (sadly) is NOT non-existent. Sexually abusive parents exist. Sexually repressive parents exist as well. Either extreme is bad. Parental religious indoctrination, when done in a way to invoke fear? That leads people to develop VERY unhealthy complexes. Don't tell me that doesn't happen because I know people who went through that. In the atheist community, there is a lot of bitterness over parents who use the "religious whip" (figurative term here) to impose discipline in a way to make children feel fear and also to feel unworthy. I won't spill all the beans, but I can tell you absolutely from personal experience that things leading to low self-esteem are a true bitch. I have not hidden my earlier bouts with near-suicidal depression, but I have conquered that situation with a couple of good therapists.

I'm sorry you over-read my statement, but YES that is a justification for what I said - that parents who can love their kids will do better than parents who DON'T love their kids. I was isolating the important factors and the non-important factors. If you read it any other way than that, you missed the most important point.

Nuclear family privilege makes absolutely no difference if the parents are dreck. (Sorry, sometimes I lapse into Yiddish - their curse words are SO visceral and satisfying.) Single parents who truly love and respect their kids do better than nuclear families who do not.

Isaac, you focused on the negatives of what I said, but you should have been more focused on the positives that involve giving kids physical and emotional shelter, seeing to their education, assuring that they learn work ethics, and teaching the importance of respecting one another. Do you honestly believe that gay parents CAN'T do these things that I suggest are so important?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:01
I posted a link recently about an army advertising for people to sign up in a very camp way.

This excellent video sums it up nicely:-

I found it on a recent podcast by Mikaela and Jordan Peterson. I mention it to try and encourage others to follow these thinking people as opposed to reacting to the clickbait provided by the general media. You've got to start seeking out people that speak the truth.

In other words, if you are offended, annoyed, worried about the way the World is developing, then in many ways you are complacent/complicit in it by promoting the lying, deceiving media by watching and feeding on their shit. Even if they are telling you what you want to hear, don't be deceived, that's not necessarily the truth, it might be your truth, and it seems attractive but the truth isn't nice and cuddly. If you don't want to hear what the thinkers say, then you are probably listening to the truth.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom