How to best shape the data structure of Monthly Sales Budget (1 Viewer)

hamidreza.sajjadi

Local time
Today, 13:21
hello.
I have designed a sales budgeting system using "MS Access" in which users can assign sales Value in addition of sales price for different months along with some other functionality.
Here is the schema of the main table (tbl_SalesMonthing) over which numerous forms store data.
AsIsModel.png

As it is obvious, The current cross-tabular structure of the "tbl_SalesMonthing" table poses many challenges. Its complexity impacts query performance and makes forms difficult to maintain. For example, joining multiple tables to retrieve monthly data is very time-consuming and requires to make table Unpivoted by using UNION, and besides, form logic becomes convoluted.
Therefore, I'm seeking alternative table structures to enhance efficiency and simplify database maintenance. I'm particularly interested in exploring a design that utilizes VBA and textboxes to capture monthly data, potentially eliminating the need for a cross-tabular structure. here is the conceptual model of Table:

Conceptual Structure.png

and here is the schema of my current form to gather sales data from users in a form named "frm_BudgetgDataEntry"

Data entry form.png

Thank you in advence

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 20:21
try you New table first, then adjust later.
to fill that table with data from your existing table, you will be needing a Union Query that will
be the source of your Insert Query.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
You will almost certainly want to add a MonthYear or Period field to allow for different years, unless you are going to overwrite the data each time?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:21
Normalize the data. Then use crosstabs to pivot it for reporting.
Here is a sample of what I call a bound denormalized form. It is based on queries that are joined to gether. The form, even though it looks like a crosstab, is updateable because it is based on queries of the normalized table that are updateable.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Who in your organization will be using the data?
If you haven't already, you have to ask the intended user what data they would want to enter/see.
After determining what the users would want, as @Pat Hartman wrote, you would then need to normalize the data.
The questions above are rhetorical, I'm not expecting a response.

hamidreza.sajjadi

Local time
You will almost certainly want to add a MonthYear or Period field to allow for different years, unless you are going to overwrite the data each time?
yes. but you know? there is big problem here and it is that users are not supposed to enter year and month for each sales prediction!. for example if they are predicting sale budgets for 12 months, they are supposed only to minds entering the sales value, not months names and at the form there should be just 12 text boxes for sales value

hamidreza.sajjadi

Local time
would you please explain in more detail or refer me to some articles about it?
i can't use a normalized table as a row or control source for my form. it is matter of making simplified data entry form for users.
@Pat Hartman

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 07:21
it is matter of making simplified data entry form for users.

Usually the data is the most important part to people working with a database. I mean, what's the point of having amazing, art-like forms if the data just gets thrown into a hole from which it can't be retrieved?

Here's what your workflow should be--> Tables then Reports and the Queries needed to feed them data and then finally, forms. You need to be sure that your tables capture everything you need and that you can get the data out as you need before you start working on how to get the data into them.

Forms don't dictate tables and fields. The data dictates the tables and fields. Normalize your data.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
yes. but you know? there is big problem here and it is that users are not supposed to enter year and month for each sales prediction!. for example if they are predicting sale budgets for 12 months, they are supposed only to minds entering the sales value, not months names and at the form there should be just 12 text boxes for sales value

I didn't say the user need to enter it.
You are confusing required data and end user interaction. You default the mm/yy to the next year or this year depending on when you are doing this, make sure the user see's it but can't edit it, if you need to.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I guess you didn't look at the sample database I posted. The data is properly normalized but the data entry form shows 12 months at a time. There is only a few lines of code to support this along with 13 queries. One for each month and one to assemble the 12 months into one query.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom