How to convert a USB Printer into a Wireless Printer using a Router? (1 Viewer)

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:28
Printer - HP Deskjet 2335
Router - TP Link Archer C5 - V4

Possible?

My Router has an USB Port.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:58
If you can connect a USB-to-USB cable from router to printer then you should be able to use the "Find Printer on Network" dialog that you get when you tell Windows to add a printer. It would help if your printer has the ability through some kind of control panel to tell itself to use DHCP addressing so that it can get its address from the router. Once the printer is "local" to the subnet represented by the router, you should be able to find it easily. Well, ... Windows should find it. I'm not familiar with the specifics of either device, but given the way that networks work, it should be a viable option.

The one issue that makes me uncertain is... does that router only have ONE USB port? And if so, is that for a console to be connected to it? Look that up in your owner's manual for the router. IF that USB port is the only one on the router, and if it is also intended for a control console, then the answer is NO. If there is more than one USB port then probably it would be OK.

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:28
Hi Doc,
Good Morning. The router has only one usb port intended for storage purpose (using pendrive) unfortunately the router configuration page is not showing any "Printer Server" option in it. I think the chances are less. I have did some crossposting on some electronics sites. Let's see whether any solution is found anywhere. Will surely share if positive. Thanks for your reply. You are the "Oxygen" of this Group. Keep Rocking!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:58
Your next option would be to find a system that would stay turned on during business hours that could act as a host that could be served to the network from the computer chosen for hosting. You wouldn't do well to move that around, but you could use the "Add Printer" dialog from other computers once the chosen host had added the printer.

I looked up the specs on that printer and it does not have wireless ability. That leaves only the "hosted" options. Your router would have no way to directly contribute to locating the printer because at this point it would be peer-to-peer configuration information.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:58
My Printer is plugged into my main computer but the printer has network capability so all the computers in the house, even the smart phones can see it.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:58
if the Printer is WIFI enabled, you can, otherwise No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom