How to use a previous Lookup to narrowdown the next Lookup (1 Viewer)

Lucas79

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:38
Hi All,

I'm making an Access Web App in Office 365, which will be used to store technical documentation about our customers. My challenge is that I want to use data from multiple databases to narrow down a lookup field.

For example:

I have a table with Customer information. (CustomerName being the one I use for Lookup)

I have a table with locations, cause some of our customers have multiple branch offices.

I have a table with Devices (like routers and switches and firewalls)

What I really would like is when I'm adding a device, I first enter the CustomerName (lookup) and then add the location (2nd lookup) and then add all the relevant information of the device. (devicetype, model, config etc)

I have all this working, but the 2nd lookup shows ALL locations, also those from other customers. Is there a way to make the 2nd lookup field dynamic to only show/search for the locations which are associated with that specific customer?

I hope I explained it well enough for you all to understand, since I'm Dutch and not English. :eek:

Thanks in advance,

Lucas

Lucas79

Registered User.
Local time
Dear jdraw,

Thank you for replying. I had seen a similar instruction on how to use cascading comboboxes, but these were a bit clearer and I do understand them a bit better now. Unfortunately, it didn’t bring me closer to my goal, because Access Web App in Office 365 doesn’t seem to support referencing controls on a form, or I’m doing it all wrong.

I’m going to ‘Advanced’ -> ‘Query’. Then select the proper table and build the query as shown in the vids, but however I’m typing ‘[forms]![FormName].[ControlName]’ it says the control cannot be found. (with an ‘!’ it gives an error the expression is wrong, and when I replace the ‘!’ with a ‘.’ it gives the error it cannot find the control.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:38
Yes you're right -- no vba. I am not familiar with Access web apps nor Office 365.

I don't know how relevant this is, but here is a link to m$oft info

Lucas79

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Jdraw,

You are the greatest! That was exactly what I was looking for. The reason I couldn't find it in Access was that it only works on a combobox, not a search field. In my case a combobox works just as fine as a searchfield. I don't know how I could have missed that one. Guess I didn't use the right keywords.

Thank you for your quick support.

Kind regards,

Lucas

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom