Importing data from a .mdb (1 Viewer)

P

PPrice

I hope everyone is having a good week. It's almost over, TGIF! I'm importing a table from a .mdb to another .mdb and am getting the "You tried to assign the Null value to a variable that is not a Variant data type." I have checked all data types in the tables and a "variant" data type is not a choice in the selection menu. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

David R

I know a few things...
Local time
Today, 07:55
Check your new table for Required fields

It is possible that you have a blank field in some entry in your old table that is Required in your new table.

Alternatively, whenever I get a new and exciting error in Access I check the archives here to see who else has dealt with it. Try doing an archive search on 'assign null variant' and see what comes up.

P

PPrice

Interesting

In the database, that I'm trying to import data from, I can not even make a copy of the target table without getting the above mentioned system error. Is there something basic that I'm missing here? One should be able to atleast make a copy of an existing table without any trouble. Or atleast I've been able to in my past projects. Any Clues? Anyone? Anyone?:confused:

Fornatian

Dim Person
Local time
Today, 13:55
Can you make a structure only copy then cut-paste the data in?

P

PPrice

Worked around it!

Thanks David R for the reply. I do not know exactly why I can not make a duplicate copy of the target table via a copy and paste, so as a work around, I created a new table, copied and pasted the fields from the target table into the new one, then populated the new table with a copy and paste of the target table's values. This created a duplicate table. I then added the additional fields that I needed to the new table. And the results are acceptable.

Thanks for the search direction, but that is what I initially did and after I saw the results did me no good, I posted the question.

Very good web site!!

Thanks again!

Just saw your reply Fornation, that did work. Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom