Inherit values (1 Viewer)

fab547

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:40
Hi,
I cannot find how to inherit values from one row of an item.
I explain if I have an item ITEM1 that has various values in various fields F1, F2, ...Fp. I have all these fields set in a subform. How can the values in F2, F3,...Fp be automatically updated once I have selected the value of F1 with a combo box?
Thank you

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:40
So longs as the value you wish to display forms part of the Row Source of your Combo you can use the following to populate an unbound text box;
Code:
=ComboName.Column([B][COLOR="Red"]X[/COLOR][/B])
Where X represents the column in your Combo (not necessarily visible) bearing in mind that the columns in a combo are numbered from zero on up.

fab547

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks.
It works on the form but it does not update the related table attached to the form. I mean on the form it does keep the data but the same values on the table do not get updated.
What am I doing wrong?
When the columns are numbered, you mean that the numbers must correpond to those from which the combabox is made of?

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Given that you are able to relate the additional info to the bound column of the Combo, you don't need to store that additional info.

fab547

Registered User.
Local time
Hi,
Why is that so? I need the data from the table linked to the form. e.g. I could not make a query on a form. It means I need the data from that table.
Thank you

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Have a read up on the subject of Data Normalisation and perhaps work through a tutorial, and you will see that what you are trying to do is in breach of the rules of data normalisation. Perhaps you will need to rethink your table structure to avoid this problem. You may also get some inspiration for improving you table structure here.

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Incidentally there is no reason that you should not bind your form to a query. In fact there is a school thought that says this is a better option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom