1673625694787.png

Day 34:

1673626023813.png

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:09
I ordered myself a Pentel Graph Gear 1000 drafting pencil (0.7mm) and got it yesterday. So, I decided to just draw a quick sketch on a bit of notepaper to see what it was like. I was standing up, it was quite dark, and I did it in about a minute.

My result was quite good, and showed that I have definitely improved a lot. The image itself is only 1 inch high and looks quite good at that scale. Naturally it won't look quite as good on here because the image will be shown much larger.

It seems like this course has instilled in my mind a kind of template for some objects.

house-small=c.jpeg

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:09
This morning (1.15.23) on the CBS morning show there was a discussion that caught my eye because of my writing hobby. I was considering future publication of my fantasy novels (if I ever find an interested buyer or if I decide to on-line self-publish) and I wanted to illustrate a few scenes. My drawing skills definitely are not up to the task and I have used home-guide books before to little effect. My cousin, who IS a commercial artist, wants a significant fee for each drawing and one novel's worth of artwork might take a few thousand bucks if I contract it out.

However, there are now many on-line sites that do AI Art based on verbal descriptions, very similar to the ChatGPT site Jon showed us. I may have to look into that. Anyone who is curious can look up "AI Artwork" to check it out. They are not necessarily free but they do seem to have reasonable prices for the number of images I think I would want. I have found several major and a few minor sites with varying fees including a pay-as-you-go where you buy "credits" ahead of time. Some of them allow you to get non-watermarked art that can be included in your other work. The issue that is open to consideration is that it might not be copyrightable without some effort. But it HAS been done.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@The_Doc_Man You can get free credits to use the OpenAI system here:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I used my new drawing pad and mechanical pencil today. The paper is much better quality and no more lines on it.

postbox-c.jpeg

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 06:09
Why try to reinvent the wheel? The book I got works!

Edit: Check out the table of contents on Amazon. It shows a picture next to each section so you know what you will learn to draw.
I bought this as an anonymous gift for my ailing father in law. Hopefully this will engage his brain in a positive way and give him something to look forward to and, more importantly, a sense of accomplishment and worth.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 03:09
Hint, it goes perfect with a Rocketbook from Amazon!

Now that's just me personally talking. A real draw-er would recommend certain pencils, etc. but taking the learning to draw casually (me), the Rocketbook is perfect.
I draw in the evenings, I scan my Rocketbook page to instantly memorialize it by date to Google Drive, then I wipe it clean - the perfect notebook to accompany my new hobby.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Just hit 10 hours of study.

houses-multiple-c.jpeg

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Complex building.

house-complex-c.jpeg

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Bit of an update...

Cylinder with contour lines to show depth.

cylinder-c.jpeg

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Funny little people, using contour line direction to show direction of movement.

funny little people-c.jpeg

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The surfs up!

the wave-c.jpeg

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
My first ever flag...

flag-c.jpeg

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Now make it a bit longer...

flag-long-c.jpeg

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I've just completed Day 58, or 58 x 15m/60 = 14.5 hours of drawing. That figure includes both the time reading and the time drawing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom