orbic1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:18
If Access has the following limitation:
Max users connected to database: 255

and MSDE has the following limitation:
Only five concurrent batch workloads or 25 concurrent connections for websites

is it worth upsizing using msde as I need up to 40 connections.

Cheers

Access will choke at 40 connections..heck, it will choke at 20.
I'm telling you from experience, the MSDE is a better option for you. It gets governed at 8 connections which means that CERTAIN types of transactions are slowed down on purpose but it doesn't mean that it degrades it more and more as more connections are made. It just means that after 8 connections, it slows down. Even then, it's still faster than the Jet.

Thanks! So if I'm using an Access frontend, MSDE would be the best backend? Are there any other alternatives without forking out for win2k3 + SQL server? Can MSDE or similar be run on a Linux Box?

Cheers

you can try a MySQL backend. You'll need the MySQL OLEDB or ODBC driver which can be found on www.MySQL.ORG

I've never tried it with an access ADP, so I can't say with extreme certainty that it will work for you.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot and post here if it works or not!

orbic1 said:
Thanks! So if I'm using an Access frontend, MSDE would be the best backend?

NO MSDE IS NOT THE BEST BACKEND!!!!

Especially since you are talking about having up to forty clients connected to the app. Your best backend would be a large RDBMS like SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, etc... that is built to support enterprise-wide applications. SQL Server is basically (in a generic sense) the same as MSDE but without the governor on limited concurrent users... as kodo touched upon MSDE (because its free) will automatically limit its own speed if you attempt to connect too many users as micro$oft builds this in so that you have to buy SQL Server (or the like) to get the performance that you need...

Moving to a large RDBMS (Relational Database Management System) like those I pointed out above will help you app in the speed category (any many other places too) but does have its own drawbacks (namely cost and support needs)

EDIT* - Opps! Just noticed after rereading your post that you were looking for something without having to pay for it!!! Leaving this post here incase the info helps someone else...

HTH,
Kev

Kevin_S said:
NO MSDE IS NOT THE BEST BACKEND!!!!

Especially since you are talking about having up to forty clients connected to the app. Your best backend would be a large RDBMS like SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, etc... that is built to support enterprise-wide applications. SQL Server is basically (in a generic sense) the same as MSDE but without the governor on limited concurrent users... as kodo touched upon MSDE (because its free) will automatically limit its own speed if you attempt to connect too many users as micro$oft builds this in so that you have to buy SQL Server (or the like) to get the performance that you need...

Moving to a large RDBMS (Relational Database Management System) like those I pointed out above will help you app in the speed category (any many other places too) but does have its own drawbacks (namely cost and support needs)

EDIT* - Opps! Just noticed after rereading your post that you were looking for something without having to pay for it!!! Leaving this post here incase the info helps someone else...

HTH,
Kev

I agree, but he stated that he didn't want to fork out the moola for SQL server. The MSDE is not the best BE, but if it's all you have to work with, it's better over access alone, IMO.

Kodo said:
I agree, but he stated that he didn't want to fork out the moola for SQL server. The MSDE is not the best BE, but if it's all you have to work with, it's better over access alone, IMO.

I know... check my edit! Didn't read carefully enough the first time through :p

Thanks! For the moment I'll use MSDE as to start with, approx only 5 users. Which would you recommend, SQL presumably, for later when 40+ users will need it with view to easiest migration between them? Is it easy to migrate from MSDE to SQL? Once the powers that be spread the DB across all business sites, we will definitely need to use a bigger better DB sys.

Cheers,

Ed

moving from the MSDE to SQL server is painless. It involves attaching the MSDE database to the SQL server and that's it ;)

For small businesses, there is a very reasonably priced option - Windows 2003 Small Business Server. The premium edition costs $1500 and includes SQL Server 2K plus 5 client licenses. You would need sufficient client licenses to cover the maximum necessary concurrent connections. So, 40 people may need access but if only 25 would normally be online at any given time, then you only need 25 licenses. SBS can be installed ONLY on a single computer and it includes tons of good stuff. Go to the next TS2, MSDN, or TouchPoint briefing in your area or go to the Microsoft site and watch the slide show. I recommend the briefings if convienent because in exchange for sitting through 4 hours of a very good presentation, they also give you goodies sometimes worth hundreds of dollars. My husband won an hp Photosmart digital camera at the TouchPoint presentation we attended last week. We also each got certificates good for a class at a New Horizons Training Center.

Once you move from Access/Jet to Access/SQL Server (or even MSDE), the knowledge required to administer the database takes a sharp upward spike. For SQL Server you will need at least a part time administrator.

I have the Action Pack also but it is not for "production" environments. The Action Pack is intended to be used by developers for development. Technically the Action Pack is not a purchase but a 1 year lease. There was quite an extensive discussion of this product a few months ago. Search for it if you are interested.

I know this. You can develop your apps and do what ever you want with them when you're done.

Pat Hartman said:
I have the Action Pack also but it is not for "production" environments. The Action Pack is intended to be used by developers for development. Technically the Action Pack is not a purchase but a 1 year lease. There was quite an extensive discussion of this product a few months ago. Search for it if you are interested.
See here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom