Linked tables - can they be read only? (1 Viewer)

yippie_ky_yay

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:39
Hello,

From my front end, I link to several tables from various databases. I just need for one of those tables to be read only in case a user opens it through the database window and tries to edit it. It does however need to be editable in the original database (where the table comes from).

Can this be done? Is there a property setting I'm missing? I suppose I could just make it link in VBA whenever it's needed - but I was hoping for a quick fix!:D

Thanks in advance,
-Sean

llkhoutx

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:39
Presumably your users are not accessing tables directly, in whicb event they could do whatever they want. Hoever if that be te case, made the database containind thosse/thjat table read only.

Form properties allow you to make table being displayed non-updateable.

The answer to you question can be extremely complex based up the structure of your program.

yippie_ky_yay

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks llkhoutx,

I do have a solution in my head - but it's a bit of work. I just didn't want to invest a lot of time only to find out later that I could've right-clicked and selected "read-only" :)

If there were just a few more property options for Linked tables! Another thing I don't like is not having relative paths - anyone know if any of this in Access 2003 by chance?

Thanks again,
-Sean

Not A PHB

Registered User.
Local time
Are you using Security?

You could set up users with read only permissions for that table by using the Access security wizard on your backend database. It's quick and easy but there are some gotchas to setting it up if you haven't done it before so I'd back up your databases first : )

Just a thought.

HTH,

Lance

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom