Louisiana Americans burning British flags (1 Viewer)

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 09:43
Why will Americans have to suffer the loss of 500,000 jobs. For what reason?

I watched 30 minutes of the Congression Panel yesterday - what a waste of everyones time - and I missed 6 hours plus of it!

Hayward had to say what he did, and then on the other side a lot of electioneering and witchhunting and new found expertise in oil drilling. Conveniently ignoring lots of it was approved by the US authorities.

The republicans not liking the 20bn fund was interesting.

Yes congressman - it is Thursday! Shhsh.

That's the number of people employeed in Offshore Drilling in the US

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:43
I'm not going to quibble over exact numbers, but here's where a lot of people are going to lose their jobs.

Thousands of folks were engaged in offshore drilling activities. There is now a moratorium on same, so those folks have the choice of waiting around for drilling to open up (with no income in the interim) or moving elsewhere and hoping to find work.

Tens of thousands of people support the the offshore workers. That includes transport, medical support, offshore food supply and catering, clothing, tools, etc. When you don't do the activities that needed those things, the job losses ripple outward.

Then there are the grocers, restaurant owners (onshore), laundries, car dealers & mechanics, pharmacies, etc. The next layer of the support network for the offshore gang. Will it be a full half-million jobs that we lose? Don't know. Will a lot of jobs get reduced or stopped completely? Bet on it.

This situation pretty much wipes out any chance of an energetic recovery from Katrina in the next few years.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:43
BP has 20,000 UK employees and 40,000 American employees, yes let's bankrupt it:rolleyes:

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 06:43
A lot of common people do not understand the economic impact of what is going on with the projected cost of fixing this tragedy exceeding the market value of BP. Very obvious that the people in USA on the gulf are screwed for a long while no matter what the outcome is from this point forward.
The economic impact is long reaching into the USA from all of the colateral employment based on the industries on the coast needing support labour and materials, and the subsequent jobs to support those industries.
If BP folds that would be a huge impact on most of the British pension plans, it would stabalise the FTSE by basically tanking it and devaluating the pension funds and plunging the British economy into a very dark place. People who depend on the pension handouts would be with less money or without money, which would also devistate a lot of support industries and put a higher tax burden on those who are currently employed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom