Macro: Apply Template to Active Document (1 Viewer)

rustyCrVx

The Post is a Lie
Local time
Today, 12:56
I have no experience working with Word macros but my boss is asking me for one and I can't figure it out. So here's the situation:

The idea is to have a button that will automatically apply a header/footer with company name and info onto the active document so it can be quickly ready to be sent off.
Header/Footer is located: "O:\LOHG\Templates\LOHG Blank Header & Footer 02-06.dot"

Any help would be appreciated and I'd be happy to clarify if necessary since I have no clue what other information is pertinent.

HiTechCoach

Local time
Is there some reason that when you create the new document, they are not selecting the template to start with?

About templates:

The basic idea of templates is to give you or someone else a boost in creating a new document.

Attaching a different template gives you access to any AutoText, macros, toolbars and keyboard customizations in the newly-attached template. It does not give you any text from the newly-attached template. It gives you access to styles in the newly-attached template but unless you check the box "update styles" when you change the attached template, any styles already in use in your document will not be changed by attaching a new template. You will also not get any document layout such as margins (although indents contained in styles will be imported if the style is imported).

If you want the layout features or text from the new template for your document, your best bet is to create a new document based on the new template and then copy the contents of your old document into the new document. Then close the old document and save your new document using the same name. Note that your new document will use style definitions from the template rather than from your old document.

rustyCrVx

The Post is a Lie
Local time
They are lazy tbh.

And sometimes they have an old document that needs the template applied to it so it would be easier to just click a button than to copy and paste the original document onto a new template.

HiTechCoach

Local time
I have used the "auto correct" feature to add "letterhead" to an existing document in the past.

It is probably would be possible to set up macros that will add the the "letterhead" to a document. You could record a macro (VBA) that adds the "letterhead" to a document.

Either of the above methods will require some effort to get it distributed to multiple users.

Training users to learn a new way to work (process) is not easy. If you make it to easy to fix their mistakes by not using the correct new process, they will probably never change. If you make it difficult to recover, but not impossible with more manual effort than the new way, they will change.

With learning/training: "shortcuts lead to long delays"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom