Solved You are attempting to save a file type (Word 2007......) that has been blocked by your file Block settings in the Trust Center (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:56
That's the message.
Word_SecurityMsgOnSave.JPG

I'm sure this is a result of the latest update that got pushed to me. I haven't updated a Word doc in a week or two. I cannot modify ANY document and save it. This is seriously interfering with my plan for today. I found an old link but it is useless since I have no idea what it is talking about.
1. This is not a Word 2000 document. it is a .docx created two months ago.
2. I have no idea what an ODMA server is and I sure don't have one attached to my home PC
3. The "solution" references something called "Microsoft Office Button" but there is no picture of the Word ribbon and I have no clue where it might be if it isn't there so I can't follow it to save as a .docm format which I don't want to save as anyway since the document has NO MACROS.

Any ideas out there on this completely unproductive Labor Day "holiday" :cry::cry::cry:

I've tried creating a brand new document and can't save it either. I was able to paste my changes into an email and send them to me but I am otherwise down for the count if I can't save anything.

Remember the old joke about the knock on your door and the person standing there saying the 9 most frightening words in the English language --- “I’m from the government and I’m here to help”? Well MS is now trying to be my daddy and I am not happy about it.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I left this question here in case someone else can't understand what the Block File Settings actually means either.

I finally found the solution that worked. Apparently the most recent Security Update sets all the File Block Settings on. You might want to check to see what yours look like. So I finally went back to the settings page and out of desperation, I pressed the Restore Defaults button and that unchecked all except these three. After reading the top block of text 10 times, I figured out what it was actually saying. I only wasted 3 hours searching for a solution. Thanks Microsoft. You’re out of the will and if Google wasn’t the devil incarnate, I would have switched to GoogleDocs today.

Why the hell would I ever want to use Word and then by default, block it from working????????????? I thought the blocking was rational and it was “allowing” the checked documents to be opened and saved. NOT stopping Word from doing anything useful at all.
WordSecurityMsgOnSave-Fix.JPG

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:56
Pat, if you look up "History of Microsoft Word" articles, you would note that Word 97 was the first version to actually use VBA. Word 95 and earlier used something else, apparently their own proprietary but non-VBA Macro language, and because of that change they had a slightly different internal file structure. That might account for why the three checked versions were, in fact, checked even after you restored defaults.

Now as to why the latest update did such a nasty thing, ... well, it IS Microsoft. (Whoops - did I just betray my bias?)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I left the three checked because newer versions of Access can't even read those database versions let alone update them.

Word is not something I develop in. I use it to write - letters, documentation, articles. So, except for the four macros I created to insert properly colored suit symbols when I write about Bridge, I don't even create macros for my own use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom