Mobile access of Access (1 Viewer)

cardgunner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:54
A client of mine is going to want to access his Access db from his phone. It resides now on his desktop computer. What are some of the challenges I'm going to face doing this? His phone is one of those Androids, not an iphone.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 19:54
Challenges ? First and foremost a disappointed client, if you are thinking of running an Access app on Android. Make a web interface asp/asp.net/php/jsp and your client can access that inteface through his browser.

cardgunner

Registered User.
Local time
Would it be easier/better if he used something other than an Android?

I searched and found an iphone/ipad app. Not sure if it's any good but some of the reviews looked positive.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 19:54
Look up what the system requirements are to run access

cardgunner

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry Spike I'm not going to install the db on his phone just access it. So I would have to put it out there on a server or something.

I would think that I could put the mother db on a sever somewhere. Create a mobile db(Litedb) and put it on the same server with links to the mother. I would create a start up menu with some of the majors forms and major reports on there. Contacts, Todo, sales, and etc. He would then enter the url of server. Enter login and pw. This would give him access to the new Litedb.

DJkarl

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:54
Any objects you create in Access, forms, reports, code, would require some version of access to be installed on the host system. To my knowledge only the windows CE platform has a mobile version of Office available. Now that's not to say you couldn't create a web based database as others have suggested, or create a java application that has jdbc connectivity to the database. Those suggestions might work on a mobile platform, but they wouldn't be able to take advantage of any forms or code inside the access database itself.

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:54
I don't know anything about the app but there are many programs for phones that allow you to access your computer. You may need to adjust the forms in the Access application to make them look good on a small screen but I've been happy this way.

Some examples are Logmein or Jump. I use Splashtop on my iPhone because it cost me a total of $2! For the price of a coffee I can get access to my computer.

You may want to check this out as well:

http://www.help4access.com/

It might point you in the right direction

Good luck

SHADOW

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:54
Splashtop looks great. It could even make a iPad useful to a PC user.

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:54
Splashtop looks great. It could even make a iPad useful to a PC user.

It could be that some of the pricier programs have fancier features. I don't know if any of them have print capabilities because I'm strictly using it on my iPhone but I'm sure anyone interested can find out in just a few minutes.

SHADOW

cardgunner

Registered User.
Local time
I'm back on the prowl for a solution. We have tried to access the desktop db with logmein and that won't work. Even when I resize the forms.

I don't have the type of expertise needed to create a web application. I think. Never tried but little knowledge of it.

I have searched for mobile db but most appear to be downloaded to phone rather then retrieved by phone. I have searched Mobile database app, Mobile database system, portable database.

Any suggestions on a better choice of keywords.

I'm looking for a mobile database app that can be loaded on an Android phone that when activated will pull the information from a server. The client wants to be able to edit that information and add new information. Form and report designs do not need to be editable from the phone. Queries are something else. He would like to have the abilty to query his data on the go. The keyword here is LIKE. If I can find something that has everything but that than that may be good-enough.

I would like to stick with Access but do i need to look for something different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom