Mobile phones (Cell phones in US speak) and the 'Why don't you use the app?' (2 Viewers)

DickyP

Local time
Today, 23:41
Generally a mobile phone is a useful bit of kit but am I the only one who dislikes their all pervasiveness.

I dislike the fact that people expect me to be available at all hours day and night! Easily solved as when I don't want to available I don't take if with me but then I get the accusatory 'you weren't on your phone!'.

The 'why don't you use our secure app?' and the same time telling me to be aware of security issues., when the biggest single source for data and financial loss in UK, at least, is is stolen phones!

In particular on-line banking sites always ask why don't you use the app? My answer to this is why on earth would I use a screen 2 inches across when I can use one 26 inches across with my banking app open on my other 26 inch screen next to it. No brainer. And I don't need access to my accounts when I'm out as I know how much I've got in my various accounts.

Lastly there is the e-mail problem - e-mail obviously works on a phone but it seems to me that a majority of users don't actually read their e-mails if they are more than a couple of lines long, and certainly don't read attachments.

I understand your viewpoint, @DickyP, because I get similar questions. I tell people "Now that I am retired and not on 24/7 call, I turn off my cell phone unless I want to make a call. If you want me, call my home phone and leave your message on the recorder. I'm DONE with the electronic leash, thank you very much." My doctor's office took a while to understand that I can live with my cell phone turned off. Still not sure if they really believe it or are temporarily humoring me. My car dealership hasn't learned that lesson yet, but they don't call me for anything unless the car is in the shop for some reason.

As to banking and any other financial issues, my days of working in a Navy environment included a LOT of seminars and training sessions. There is an old rule that says "If you can get to the front of the machine, you can own it." Which is why if my cell phone is stolen, the only things they get are a short contacts list that rarely includes U.S. Mailing addresses and it has NO e-mail addresses. I've never loaded up apps on the phone except for the one to remotely monitor my home generator. No bank apps, investment apps, no monetary apps of any sort.

I'm a little like that too, Dicky - as in, when I'm really serious about something, I walk over to my computer with a real keyboard, mouse, and monitor and get to work on it. Although I've been doing some more things on the phone over the last year or two but it's still limited. I do like reading news articles on my phone and doing very basic banking things like Zelle-ing (sending) someone money or checking my balance.

As far as phone security, that's a whole different story. I'm conflicted on it, because it's so case-by-case basis. People have varying configurationg of security on their phone. I think a phone with a solid password or fingerprint protection on the screen (and a quick screen time-out) are relatively secure, but am no expert on the issue. Especially apple phones, although I hate to say it, being anti-apple myself.

In addition to a good screen lock, I also use Norton app lock for apps that I either 1) want double-security on, or 2) want to be able to 'share' (hand over) my phone to a family member or friend for a moment's use, generally unlocked, without that particular app being unlocked. I really like Norton App Lock, I use a special PIN for that app only and it double-secures various apps on my phone.

But I agree - for serious stuff, I usually walk over to the computer. I see my wife and daughter struggling away to fill out some form or other on their phone mobile website, it looks torturous :)

One thing I hate about mobile phones: The easy ability of app creators to DISABLE SCREENSHOTS. (banking apps and others).
On the computer I like it because NOBODY can stop me from hitting PrintScrn button !!

Totally agree Doc. I cannot see how a cell phone can be relied upon for banking and investments. I still have a 2G phone for the mobile but that shuts down in 2025.

You go to all the trouble to make your PC secure and then are expected to provide so much personal data on a digital cullender. On a phone you have a few so called security settings and no idea exactly what is actually being mopped up by Apple and Google. All they are interested in is your data. They have lobbied for the end of landlines because they cannot download that data. Via the cell phone they have just everything about you.
You tick the box that your location should be hidden but it is fairly clear that the setting is there just to cheer you up. Because your location is still available. Just in the same was that you set your telephone not to display your number but most government organisations se the number.

At Davos it was agreed that there should be a push towards ID cards, also linked to phones. The ID card will contain your medical history, all banking, investments and salary details. All of that information available to whichever jobsworth, or political quango asks for it. There was a time when the police needed a warrant to tap your phone line. Now they can simply demand your phone. You cannot create a google email without providing another email for so called recovery reasons. With an Android it is mandatory to create a google account. Even though you have no intention of buying anything. The T&Cs are only accepted under duress, as without agreement you cannot use the phone you have purchased. Maybe we are not far off the day when even the Watercooler will have to close down?

See www.thelightaustralia.com and specifically

There may be a little poetic license here and there but the long term intention is fairly clear. "They" now want this information simply because it is becoming possible to gather every tiny detail about you. How soon before chips are implanted into the new-born, which will be their ID card for life and totally unavoidable?

I'm sure there are some politically obsessed here who will blame the left/right/liberals/democrats/republicans. Best option? Don't have a mobile phone.
Col

Col, until Hurricane Katrina forced me to live several hundred miles away from my wife, I didn't have a cell phone. After Katrina struck, she needed a cell phone because the house phone was farshimmelt for several months and she was there, sometimes by herself, dealing with what we saved and identifying what had been tossed. I needed the cell phone so she and I could talk, and also so she could tell me what to buy while I was in Fort Worth Texas at our standby site. From that time until 2016, I was on 24/7 call. Once I retired, though, I cut the electronic leash. Now, it is for emergency calls only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom