Mobile phones (Cell phones in US speak) and the 'Why don't you use the app?' (3 Viewers)

Just to put things in perspective in the. UK in 2023 196,000 were s stolen worth £48.20M. That 22 an hour.

I think the second case is a constructive way of exchanging idea. If I see a case like this, I'm more than happy to be engaged. But to be honest, most discussions, is far from this, and tend to be the first one.
That means that you are not willing to change your point of view either. It's OK. You're not voting in our elections so your political opinions don't count;)
In case of this thread, I really am sure no one will change his/her idea about their phones. So, engaging in this thread, is somehow wasting each other's time. So I really didn't want to waste both sides time on a non-ending discussion.
The people who do not trust financial information to their phones will probably not change their minds but if some on the other side open their minds and listen to the reasons, they may be more reticent in the future with what they use their phones for.

Personally The IDEA of a cell phone or embedded chips sound like such a good idea. I used to think how wonderful the future would be with this kind of technology working for us. Never having to worry about not having money in my pocket or forgetting my keys or having to stand at a check out line seems like freedom. I'm a huge science fiction fan and all the Star Treks fascinated me with the cultures and technology. I can't wait for the transporter to be invented. So many things I've read about have come to fruition. But some of them are utterly terrifying. Like the flat screen TVs everywhere broadcasting Big Brother's propaganda and the Newspeak and perpetual changing of history of history. This ominous novel of a future history is now our reality.

Probably the horror of 1984 becoming a reality is what has made me distrustful of government in general. You are very trusting of your government. I think that is a cultural thing that comes from respect and reverence of your elders. We see people as equals so we don't automatically revere our leaders. We look at them more critically. And we find them sadly lacking. The medical industrial complex was the last one that had anything close to general positive approval but the lies they told us over COVID has destroyed that reverence.

When Canada froze the accounts of the protesting truckers, they showed us just what an evil government can do to subjugate its population. Don't think yours is above this. Ours certainly isn't.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand this. Trust whom? Someone robs my phone. I login to my google account and lock my phone with a long new passcode. Trust whom? Google? I just want the thieves not being able to access the contents of my phone.
Trust the ap. Any ap can be hacked. The US just banned a Russian based computer security program.

My other trust issue is with software developers. It is the people who write the software that also need to understand the bill of rights. They cannot deliberately or accidently allow violations to the bill of rights as they do today.

When I was working in the mainframe world, many of my applications dealt with money and so usually as we were approaching the end of the design phase, I would get the team together for a brainstorming session to see if we could find a way to steal or divert money some how. Now, granted, this is a whole different problem in a mainframe situation where there are few people with sufficient access to cause mischief than it is with software out in the wild. But, I still felt it was important to at least think about it. I do not believe that current developers have the same feeling of fiduciary responsibility that I always had. This is one of the things I harp on ad nauseum as you all have probably noticed.

Trust the ap. Any ap can be hacked. The US just banned a Russian based computer security program.

Yes, Kaspersky got the politically motivated axe-job. The worst part is that I have NEVER had any trouble with them in the past. Once I got the package tuned, it was truly "set it and forget it." (OK, they got a LITTLE pushy on touting their VPN.) But I am not pushing them now. Other packages are good, too, and I have moved away from them. For my USA colleagues, it becomes a moot point whether I link to their web site, but for other countries that would violate the forum's spam policy so no links.

Heck, along the lines of "any app can be hacked"...

A few years after I retired, the Navy (and the Pentagon in general) admitted to a huge problem with Orion by Solar Winds (a Texas-based software company). A Russian hack created a back-door pathway that allowed stealing of data from a military personnel installation. They spoofed an update as a pathway to get in. Fortunately, my assigned system couldn't be hacked quite so easily because there was no Orion client for OpenVMS/Itanium. However, their approach potentially affected a LOT of Windows and UNIX-family machines. Some stories are still available online if you look for Solar Winds & Orion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom