MS Access Developer and MS Office (1 Viewer)

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 06:09
Has anyone encountered problems running Access runtime and an Office package on their computer at the same time?

Either that, or if anyone has encountered issues running a MOD package and a regular office package on their computer at the same time, I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

HiTechCoach

Local time
Most of my users (1000+)all running standard office ( 200/29002/2003/2007)with the Access runtime. I do automation from within Access to control Excel, Powerpoint, and Word.

I use Late Binding references and don't have any trouble even with mixed office versions.

Is this what you were asking about?

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Boyd,

I know that most standard office versions come without Access. Is that what you mean by "standard"? What happens if users have Office 2003 or 2007, WITH the Access program included inside the office package. Would I encounter problems running the 2000 or 2003 runtime on these machines do you think?

Lister

Z Shift
Local time
Today, 23:09
All users that I deal with are running Office 2003 and only access 2k runtime. This has been great. Did move some users up to access 2003 runtime but, this had issues with office that were blamed on the runtime version, I don't think it was the problem, but we went back to A2k runtime anyway.

HiTechCoach

Local time
Boyd,

I know that most standard office versions come without Access. Is that what you mean by "standard"? What happens if users have Office 2003 or 2007, WITH the Access program included inside the office package. Would I encounter problems running the 2000 or 2003 runtime on these machines do you think?

I think what you want to know is if you already have the full Access installed, can you also install the Runtime version?

AFAIK, you should only install the Access runtime if the full/retail version is not already installed for that version of Office. For example: If you have the "professional" version of Office 2007 installed with Access, you could install the runtime version for a Access 2000 or 2003, but you would not want to install the runtime for 2007. There really would be no reason to install the 2007 runtime if the full version is already installed. It is not even needed for testing the runtime environment since you can use the full version in runtime mode.

Note: I require all my users to run my applications (MDE/ACCDE) in runtime mode, no matter what version of Access they have installed.

I converted all my clients who use the 2000 runtime to the 2003 runtime, even for their 2000 database and I have not had any issue. Only improvements since we no longer have to deal with the issues" in Access 2000.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Note: I require all my users to run my applications (MDE/ACCDE) in runtime mode, no matter what version of Access they have installed.
Boyd,

Could you tell me how your users run the application in runtime mode? Are they simply running ADE files that you create with the extensions, or are they running the MDE's with the runtime command line switch somehow?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:09
if you launch an mdb through a pif that specifies run time, then you will use the runtime

if a user has a normal version of access installed, and you just launch the mdb without specifying runtime, then your prog will open in the normal environment.

is that what you mean?

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Correct me if I am wrong but I am sure someone told me one that when you install a run time version of Access MS actually installs the full blown Access package onto the PC but make a 1 line entry in the registry that prevents development rights. If you know the line in question you can remove it and the user has the full blown version on their pc.

I do not know what or where this registry entry is, and have never tried to find it either.

David

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
if you launch an mdb through a pif that specifies run time, then you will use the runtime

if a user has a normal version of access installed, and you just launch the mdb without specifying runtime, then your prog will open in the normal environment.

is that what you mean?
Dave,

I am a little confused on what I am doing myself here. Let me explain:

I downloaded the ART2000 from the MS website and installed it on my machine, which also has MS Access 2003 on it. The ART2000 is in a separate directory, and has the application (.exe) file that starts the runtime version. If I run this application on it's own, I get a message that says you did not specify a database to open. What I am saying is that I do not know how to go about deploying a runtime version of my update software by using this Runtime package that I have downloaded. In A97, it was completely different. All you did to make your distributable file was open the runtime version of the application, specifcy your file you wanted to convert, and bingo, it did everything for you. Then you had a file to distribute.

With this package that I have, I have no idea how to go about making .ADE files with it. Do you have an idea on this? The only hint I have on why I can't figure this process out is in a KB article I read, which says that you cannot install ART2000 minimum (which is the package I have) unless you have a licensed copy of the MOD2000, which I do not have.

I would simply like to run my applications through the ART that I downloaded, instead of through my A2003. I can run them through a ART2003, just by using the necessary files from the full version of A2003 if I type this in the command line of windows:
Code:
"C:\users\adam\program files\ms office\office11\msaccess.exe" _
   /runtime "FULL PATH OF MY FILE"

HiTechCoach

Local time
Boyd,

Could you tell me how your users run the application in runtime mode? Are they simply running ADE files that you create with the extensions, or are they running the MDE's with the runtime command line switch somehow?

Yes, I use the /runtime switch.

Here is an example if how to force for the runtime mode. This would be in your startup code:
Code:
If SysCmd(acSysCmdRuntime) = False Then
    MsgBox "You can not run this app OUTSIDE of the Runtime environment ... please lauch the program properly"
    DoCmd.Quit acQuitSaveNone
End If

To create an MDE or ADE it does not require any extensions. I purchase the developer extensions to get the license to distribute the runtime. I have never really used the deployment package wizard that comes with the extensions. I use something else to create the deployment package.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Correct me if I am wrong but I am sure someone told me one that when you install a run time version of Access MS actually installs the full blown Access package onto the PC but make a 1 line entry in the registry that prevents development rights. If you know the line in question you can remove it and the user has the full blown version on their pc.

I do not know what or where this registry entry is, and have never tried to find it either.

David

I think that this is indeed what it does, but I would be most surprised if anyone outside MS knows where to look for this (maybe combination of) registry entries. I think the point is that a dbs can be opened by the runtime version or by a full version, unless you take steps to prevent it - and if you open with the full version, you thenneed some additional security to protect your code etc.

I know you can emulate the runtime version on a full version by a command line switch for testing

Thats why the rte installation package is so big - cause its really the full package, and i expect it wont re-install over an already installed similar package

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom