mscomct2.ocx (1 Viewer)

murthyspd

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:54
Hi

I have developed an Access application which has ListView. The application will be used by many users. On clicking the application, some users get the error that mscomct2.ocx could not be found.

Do I need to reinstall Windows XP or MS Access. ?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 05:24
It's a missing reference problem. Search the forum for MISSING REFERENCE to get the answer (it's been posted many, many times).

M

MFIII

Mscomct2.ocx

Murphy,

Mscomct2.ocx is NOT Registered by Windows. The reason seems to be
that Microsoft decided when releasing VB6 (could have been 5) that some
users of older versions of Comm Control might not want to recompile their
older programs to get the new library. Best answer I could find for this problem.

Anyway, Mscomct2.ocx should be located in WINDOWS\SYSTEM. Simply register it
using "REGSVR32.exe mscomct2.OCX" in the Command Window (change directory into Windows\System before running the command).

MFIII

Last edited:
M

MFIII

Mscomct2.ocx

Sorry,

I missed Bob's reply before posting the above.

If Mscomct2.ocx is already Registered (system Registry), then you have a Reference Problem. Your program may have been corrupted if the user tried
it before the Reference problem was resolved. Reinstall the program after correcting the problem.

You may not be able to Register Mscomct2 if your Administrator has "Protected" access to WINDOWS\System (some do this for security reasons).

MFIII

Last edited:

sailinxtc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:24
I simply googled the REGSVR32.EXE and downloaded the simple instructions and file from microsoft site and also downloaded the mscomct2.ocx file from microsoft. Seemed to be the same method for Vista also but have not tried it yet. I ran into the problem with the Runtime Version on other computers etc...

Now I am at the the position where I would like to run the Regsvr32.exe command with mscomct2.ocx with the installation from the package manager I did the deploys the Runtime and files etc...

Any input or examples would be appreciated, Is it as simple as a batch file call ?

I see the package manager can call a macro and VB code also but am not sure where to start.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 05:24
Just checking my references here and I don't think mscomct2.ocx provides a listview. I think that's mscomctl.ocx. Not sure if that matters or not. mscomct2.ocx provides DTPicker, UpDown, MonthView, FlatScrollBar.

sailinxtc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:24
Not sure I worded that correctly...

When the packaged solution installs on a computer that just runs the Runtime access version with my database. It requires the mscomct2.ocx be Registered. This requires copying the mscomct2.ocx file and also the Regsvr32.exe via some method, and also calling the command structure, ie... c:\regsvr32.exe mscomct2.ocx assumes both files are in the root directory

I guess my initial question was there a way to do this with the package manager etc... so I didn't have to do it manually on each machine.

I see one solution by editing the autorun file that the package manager creates and edit it to copy and run the command, and include the two mentioned files above in the package manager configuration.

just wondered if there was any other methods or suggestions...

darbid

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:24
Seemed to be the same method for Vista also but have not tried it yet.
With vista I think you have to run CMD as administrator to register it.

If you do a search here in the forum for this OCX you will find entries from me. I pulled my hair out with these working on some machines and not on others. Eventually one machine just would not work at all and so that was the end of this ocx for my database and I removed it.

If you really want to use it and distribute it the way I do it is to have both the OCX and a BAT on some networked drive. (I found that new installations of XP did not have it)

in the bat file I have this
Code:
    [FONT=Arial]@echo off[/FONT]
  [FONT=Arial]%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\regsvr32 /s %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\mscomct2.ocx[/FONT]
as code I use this (assuming your OCX is in the system32 folder)
Code:
    [FONT=Arial]Call Shell(CurrentProject.Path & "\Bats\mscomct2.bat", 0)[/FONT]

edit:I want to say again all these active X controls can cause problems and they can be more work than they are worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom