Msde (1 Viewer)

Lister

Z Shift
Local time
Today, 20:24
Hey all.
I am to work on a project in the New Year using Access 03 and the MSDE “back end” instead of Jet.
This will be a jump for me, I have “backed” Access systems into SQL Server using ODBC but I have little experience with MSDE.
So my question is this.

Before I go and start “trolling” the internet and MS developers site, I just thought I would ask to see if anyone has been here before, and if anyone could point me at any sites or documents that would “school me” on MSDE.

If you have any documents that you could send me, pleas PM me and I will give you my e-mail address.

Thanks for any help.
Have a good Christmas with your families and mates. :)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:24
MSDE is a crippled version of SQL Server. You shouldn't notice any difference except that you won't necessarily have Enterprise Manager to manage the database because it only comes with SQL Server. If you have Enterprise Manager available to you, you can use it to manage MSDE databases.

RoyVidar

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:24
I've just started playing with MSDE, and can't say much about it, except if you don't have Enterprise Manager, see this Microsoft page for freeware/shareware versions

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/partners/default.asp

I've downloaded DbaMgr2, and it's good.

Else the MSDE has some limitations. Same as Access I believe, one database may not exceed 2GB, and, some say a limitation on concurrent users, it's really about concurrent operations, where after a certain number (8?), it begins to work slower. See

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?url=/library/en-us/architec/8_ar_sa2_0ciq.asp?frame=true

Lister

Z Shift
Local time
Today, 20:24
Thanks guys.
I was hoping it wouldn't be to different to SQL Server Pat.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom