Multi users in database (1 Viewer)

QueryStumped

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:49
Hello... is there a way for multi users to be in a database at the same time? Receive the message box “can’t open exclusively” is there away to get in there, without receiving that message?

Dreamweaver

Local time
Today, 03:49
Are all users using the same front end or copy of database?

I.E. All users access the same file.

if the db split?

QueryStumped

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:49
They are using the same database, at different desktops. Might be going through a shortcut saved on their desktop.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If a user opens a database exclusively, then no other users can use it. Access is multi user out of the box, so you should be opening it non exclusively, then others can use it at the same time. You don't get the readonly message you get with Excel.

The thing is, though, that we recommend that you do not share databases in this way, as it's very likely to go wrong, and in some cases, depending how you designed the database, users can interfere with each other. So it's much better not to share, even though it can be done.

Cotswold

Local time
As stated above you must split the database. Program =FE and Backend =BE. Put the BE on a server or main PC.

All users should run a local copy of the program. I see little point in dragging sections of the FE up and
down the network. Make sure the FE is compiled to prevent someone tinkering with it. If you haven't got
enough Access licenses, put a RunTime Version on the users terminals/PCs. RunTime may be faster anyway.

In options for the FE database Default Record Locking = NO LOCKS : Default Open Mode = SHARED
Name Autocorrect Options (all) = Off . Won't do any harm to have the backend set the same before you
issue it.

On a form that is always open, you should link it back to a table in the BE. Instead of using a workimg
table, add a link table with just one record and one field in the BE. Link that to the always open form.
Without that, users may experience speed issues.

In Access2000, I've had around 50 users running a large application, located at five different sites and
not experienced and issues with the Access database. Even when running a BE of nearly maximum size. Although
Access often gets a bad press, it is quite dependable. Access2010 was better and 2019 seems better again. I've
never bothered with my own record locking in any of my applications. Be aware that Access does not lock one
record , it will lock a block of records. Or even a part of one if it is very large.

Make sure you backup often, have a system. Daily or numbered, or just Odd and Even days is better than none.
When you backup make sure everyone is out of the BE. If not any tables in use maybe skipped-by, missing
those tables from the backup. Nothing worse than going to a backup and finding two or three tables missing!
As it grows, compacting is a good idea. Again everyone out. Use exclusive to ensure nobody decides they'll just
have a quick look but not check back with you....which they will try to do. They'll even tell you they've shut down
when they haven't, so you need to be in control. Maybe once or twice a year replace the FE, as this also bloats.
Biggest cause of corruption problems with Access is a flaky network. It will not tolerate even trivial network issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom