My Lifespan will increase if someone can help me with my corruption problem (1 Viewer)

access4all

Local time
Yesterday, 19:53
Hello everyone and Happy New Year! A little late, I know. I hope someone can help me. Let me vaguely describe the environment first. I maintain a Split Access database solution in which the backend resides on a network drive in which four to five users have the Access frontend that links to it.

My situation is that if more than one user attempts to use the application it crashes resulting in the below message. All the users use the runtime version of access instead of the full-blown application. I mention that in case it has any bearing. This situation described is implemented in numerous locations. For the most part it works fine for most locations. But two or three of these locations have the problem. When one of these locations reports the below problem i have to resort to having someone send me a copy of their backend, so i can then compact and repair it, then send it back to be used, then all is good until more than one user uses the app. IT departments at the locations swear up and down that the users have all the necessary permissions to the folder that houses the backend. IT says all wiring, network adapters and all is good. They basically point their finger at the Access solution. Can anyone pleeeeeaaaasssse help me? Any suggestions?

CorruptionMessage.PNG

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 01:53
Standard question: Does each user have their own copy of the FE stored on their own hard drive?

If not & users are sharing the same copy of the FE stored on the network, corruption is inevitable

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 08:53
what version of office do you use?
does the other pc use same version as yours?
are all using x32 bit version?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
My question is whether all users are connected to their back-ends via LAN vs. WAN or WiFi.

When one of these locations reports the below problem i have to resort to having someone send me a copy of their backend, so i can then compact and repair it, then send it back to be used, then all is good until more than one user uses the app.

This doesn't SOUND right. I think we need to know something about the environment.
My situation is that if more than one user attempts to use the application it crashes resulting in the below message.

This is a symptom of improper sharing. This would happen frequently if you are talking about users sharing a front-end file and particularly would happen a lot if all of the users tended to use the same form a lot. There is something terribly wrong with your sharing setup.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:53
I think we have get an update from the OP based on info/questions/thoughts provided.

NickCoe(UK)

Local time
What everyone else has posted is spot on.
Summary:
1/ Never connect Front End (App) on users pc to back end (Data) on server via wifi or WAN (Internet).
2/ The only exceptions are if user front ends are on a Terminal Server to which they RDP, OR you migrate the back end to an ODBC db like SQL Server, MariaDB et al...

Separatley:
I use Pete DeBaets free App Starter to make sure every user is up to date and that the FE is copied into an appropriate place on their machine.

Double check that wherever the user's FE is located is set as a Trusted Location in Office.

Individual user settings are another matter which will just complicate things at this stage I think.

Good luck.

access4all

Local time
Standard question: Does each user have their own copy of the FE stored on their own hard drive?

If not & users are sharing the same copy of the FE stored on the network, corruption is inevitable
Users are not sharing a copy of the FE on the network. Each user has a copy of the FE on a local folder.

access4all

Local time
My question is whether all users are connected to their back-ends via LAN vs. WAN or WiFi.

This doesn't SOUND right. I think we need to know something about the environment.

This is a symptom of improper sharing. This would happen frequently if you are talking about users sharing a front-end file and particularly would happen a lot if all of the users tended to use the same form a lot. There is something terribly wrong with your sharing setup.
Hi DocMan, when you inquire about sharing. Do you mean something else besides the FE being shared on the network? The FE is not being shared on the network. All users have their local copy of the FE. So something else besides shareing FE on the network?

access4all

Local time

LAN yes. not WAN, not wifi

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
OK so we've ruled out two of the more obvious issues though the symptoms do sound like multiple users are running the same copy
I would double check that none of your users are actually running a copy stored on the network by mistake

If not the case, then next we need to know
1. What version/bitness of Access are each of your users running?
2. What MDB format are you using 2000/2002/2003? Why are you still using MDB files?
3. Have you checked the references are all present & correct for each user?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom